The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixing process,time, breaks
Old 2nd April 2007
Lives for gear

Question Mixing Enviroment/Exotic food

Hi Russell thanks for your kind help and sincerity in your answers!

I have a curisity : how do you setup your enviroment for mixing, your ergonomics, lights, Incense, track order in the console etc.

Can you tell us how do you start your mixes, (drums, Vocals etc)
Do you have any hr of preference to start working on a mix?
And how many hrs o days did you work in your longest mix?

Do you order Kare Kare o Paella o any other great Philippine food to the studio?
Do you speak spanish as well?
Old 4th April 2007
Gear addict

Yeah! I would love to know about the personal setup during a mix and how do you confront the mix about breaks, refreshing your ears ..etc.
Old 4th April 2007
Lives for gear

Bump??heh heh
Old 6th April 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIEL View Post
Hi Russell thanks for your kind help and sincerity in your answers!
I have a curisity : how do you setup your enviroment for mixing, your ergonomics, lights, Incense, track order in the console etc.
Do you have any hr of preference to start working on a mix?
And how many hrs o days did you work in your longest mix?
hello reuven,

your very welcome. thanks for all your enthusiasm in this forum.
i usually start my day at 1pm or 2pm. and i'll work for about 10 to 12 hours. for an album project, i like to get the first song up and and take my time getting the sound for the album. i'll try and pick a song that best represents an example of the album as a whole. and i'll leave and get some rest then finish my tweaks the next day and print, then start all over again. as i've said, i try and pace myself as you need to stay as fresh and open as possible. when i was younger, i could go for 14 to 16 hours without a problem. now i know when it's time to go. you get to a point when your creativity is burnt and you start going backwards.

i try and make my environment comfortable, relaxed and fun for me and the artist. if you're spending all this time in one place, it has to feel like your home. i like having inspiration around, so i'll have concert/music/artist dvd's around, CD's, books related to music/art, little gadgets, incense, candles, art, xbox, etc. you know, anything that can take you away from the song for a bit. and of course, it's good to have a nice meal with everyone. i do try and eat well for good energy.

essentially i make the environment a place to play not to work. it's all about having fun... we work in a field where the mundane can hamper your creativity so you should do what you can to keep the creativity flowing. nothing is too out of the ordinary when it comes to art. D likes to have his xbox, dvd's and plenty of water, erykah likes her candles, incense and vegetarian food, keziah likes having his books and journal, ?uestlove is constantly on his mac so he can talk to the 50 people he has on his ichat.

i gotta go for now, but i'll come back to answer your other questions and about setting up my mixes.

cheers
Old 6th April 2007
Lives for gear

Wow!! Thanks Russell! yep I had the feeling that even the way your work is very organic!!!

I love how you approach the sonic concept of the album.

I will be waiting for the rest of the answers!!
thanks again!
Old 9th April 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIEL View Post
Wow!! Thanks Russell! yep I had the feeling that even the way your work is very organic!!!
I love how you approach the sonic concept of the album.
I will be waiting for the rest of the answers!! thanks again!
hello reuven,
Quote:
i've posted an answer to your question in ths thread "my mixing..."
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-russell-elevado/117088-my-mixing.html

cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search