The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gear chasing vs. Developing the skill
Old 1st April 2007

Question Gear chasing vs. Developing the skill

I dont know if you can answer this from the prospective of someone like myself because you have said in other threads that strictly ITB cant compare. Which is what i am restricted to right now. I have midi keyboard and turntables and mixer, but most everything is composed using Software programs like PROject5, Ableton, etc and VST's. Besides of course vocals which come out of my closet both. I love the entire process composition, mixing, mastering etc..even performing. I study the art and also practice it from a home studio. I A?B my stuff on my monitoring system etc..

However i am torn with how much effort or emphasis i should put on gear vs. just learning techniques and developing the craft. I certainly have everything i need to put out material that although it may not be coming from a big budget studio and analog gear is at least representative of the best you can do ITB. Not saying im the best (obviously) but Im saying that sometimes i say to myself. I am serious about this craft I love it I would love to make money doing it someday. And i often get to telling myself I need pro tools and an MPC blah blah blah...

I guess I dont know how to reconcile my innate passion for mixing,composing, mastering audio with my lack of high end gear considering that fact that if i ever were to be in it as a money making career i would have to be using outboard gear and higher end equipment. DOes that make sense? THanks if you get to answer this. AMybe its tool late April 1st.
Old 4th April 2007
Quote:
i am torn with how much effort or emphasis i should put on gear vs. just learning techniques and developing the craft.
hello,

the better the tools, the easier it is to get from point A to point B. but you have to be practical and not get too carried away with gear. it depends on your goal. it's the difference between having an amazing sounding record or a good sounding record. but it's purely subjective as well. though when it's right, it's undeniable. you can make anything sound great with gear X or Y because ultimately it's the user that brings the sound out. as i've said before here, try to stay away from the pro-sumer stuff. i know it's hard when you're in the music store and you can buy 5 pieces of gear for the price of one really good mic but i would go for quality over quantity. it's fine to buy some lower end stuff when you're starting out and learning what things can do, but when you're ready to get serious, you need good equipment. so it's a double edged sword, the gear is an extension of your art once you've learned the craft.

all the best
Old 16th April 2007

Thumbs up

Before the thing ends here wanted to say thanks. And the point a to point b aspect of better gear sums it up perfectly. I have to squeeze the juice out of what i havee for now. Its certainly enough to put something out comparable to what i have heard. At least i think so. We have a similar background and taste in music so that has been refreshing. I was a house dj blah blah blah. Mixing house gave birth to my love of mixing. Anyhow thanks alot for all the great responses and time spent.
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search