The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
monitoring with the "dragon" ? Studio Monitors
Old 23rd March 2007
Lives for gear

monitoring with the "dragon" ?

Hi Russ,

I know this is an obvious questino but nonetheless I think many visitors to this forum will be very interested in your approach to monitoring. Are you a large/nearfield ns 10/auratone guy or a more esoterci ProAc user?

I'm really interested in this, and any tips you have on monitoring while mixing.

Thanks for your time Russ,

Iwan
Old 26th March 2007
hello iwan,

how's things?
i grew up with ns-10's and auratones so i couldn't even think of mixing without them. i also use the dynaudio BM15a's and KRK E8's.

cheers
Old 26th March 2007
Gear addict

Do you have anything to say about the KRK E8's? Have you noticed any setups that are worse or better when using these? I'm using them now and I'm curious if you noticed something I didn't.

-Kurt
Old 26th March 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by recall View Post
Hi Russ,
I know this is an obvious questino but nonetheless I think many visitors to this forum will be very interested in your approach to monitoring. Are you a large/nearfield ns 10/auratone guy or a more esoterci ProAc user?
I'm really interested in this, and any tips you have on monitoring while mixing.
Thanks for your time Russ,
Iwan
hello again iwan,

i really rely on my ns10's and aurotones. i'm probably on the ns10's about 75% of the time, monitoring at various volumes through the session. i try and stay conscious of monitoring very loud for long periods of time but sometimes you just can't help turning it up. i do want to save as much of my hearing as possible. but i've gotten into the habit of monitoring at low volumes and when you get used to, it's a good way of checking things at the end of the mix. i check my bottom on the krk E8's and dynaudio BM15a's. i check things in mono on the aurotone and listen at medium volumes. for me, after listening to all sorts of frequencies for a long period and my ears are feeling tired, the aurotone will just put everything flat and my ears kind of just recalibrate themselves...is that wierd?

i also like using the little speakers that are part of the meter bridge on the studer a80 or a820 2 trks. if i'm going for a specfic sound overall in the mix and it's aggressive in it's frequency responses and there's lots of information going on, i'll try and listen to every speaker that's available to me.

if i'm mixing at a studio for the first time, i'll try and listen to as many different systems as i can find (cars, boom boxes, computers, etc), just so i can get a feel for how it's translating in the "real world". this is good practice in general.

all the best
Old 26th March 2007
Lives for gear

Do you ever use subwoofers?
Old 27th March 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemamma View Post
Do you ever use subwoofers?
hey anders,

nope, i don't use subwoofers. i tried a couple of times and i end up turning it off halfway through the session.

later
Old 1st April 2007

Forgive my naivete...

How can you not use subwoofers? Did i misunderstand that question? I have always read that one of the main advantages of the big/proper mastering rooms is the accurate low end. How can you get that without subs. It must be that the speakers you use are flat down to 30HZ or something like that?
Old 4th April 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabtwins View Post
How can you not use subwoofers? Did i misunderstand that question? I have always read that one of the main advantages of the big/proper mastering rooms is the accurate low end. How can you get that without subs. It must be that the speakers you use are flat down to 30HZ or something like that?
i swear i dont use subs. it's a component that was not around when i was coming up. the BM15a's that i use go down to 30hz so i can hear what's happenning on the bottom. but its not always about the sub frequencies when your going for a nice low end. frequencies are unpredictable, they phase, they can mask each other, they can play tricks on you. pulling out low frequencies doesn't mean you'll get less bottom in the overall mix. subtractive eq'ing works well and is a good technique. you have to make room sometimes. you can't just keep adding frequencies and expect it to get bigger and better. that's when things get muddy.

all the best
Old 15th April 2007

I love to hear that you dont need em. That's hype! Flat to 30 seems fantastic. But not sure what you meant about the use of sub for lower frequencies and the low end theory (tribe) any way. What i like about having the sub is that it aggravetes my bass so, and I already use do too much boom. So it helps me keep it under wraps. At low volume i dont hear it sooo much but when its bumpin it adds that little umph. But you know that. Its just you got kick ass monitors with no sub and me no like dah.

Thanks for the taking the time.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search