The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Capturing and Mixing the Rhodes
Old 22nd March 2007
Gear Head

Capturing and Mixing the Rhodes

Hi Russell, the Rhodes electric piano plays a key role in some of the most popular productions you've worked on. What's your favorite ways of capturing it, as far as preferred DIs/amps/mics/placement/pres/compression? Any tips or tricks you can share in mixing? How do you like to place the sound in the stereo image? any unusual sounds or effects chains you can share? thanks in advance.

Michael
Old 23rd March 2007
Gear addict

YEAH. Thanks for asking this question.LOL. I was just going to ask this.
In a previous post russ mentioned that the rhodes sound on d'angelo's record was a well guarded secret. What about the rhodes model number that was used? I hear electric lady land has a great rhodes piano. Stevie Wonder used it on some of his recordings. Is it a mark I, Mark II?
Old 24th March 2007
Lives for gear

I'd love to hear some tips on this as well. By the way, 'Voodoo' is one disc that stays in rotation here at the pad
Old 25th March 2007
Gear addict

Russell,

I'm very interested in your Rhodes technique as well. I work with a lot of jazz/hip-hop groups where Rhodes have a prominent role, but I can't quite get the sound right. Lately I've tried mixing re-amped signals with the DI, but the stereo image and depth just aren't right...Thanks for everything you've shared so far!

-Ryan Miller
Old 2nd April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by walth View Post
In a previous post russ mentioned that the rhodes sound on d'angelo's record was a well guarded secret.
Looks like it's staying a secret!
Old 2nd April 2007
Gear addict

I read that in a previous post, but I'd still love some general information regarding the Rhodes, different techniques for capturing/mixing, etc.
Old 2nd April 2007
Gear Maniac

i too would be very interested in this
Old 2nd April 2007
Gear interested

Well according to ?uestlove..

Old 3rd April 2007
Gear addict

Thanks for the link! Thats pretty sweet.
Old 4th April 2007
hello everyone,

sorry for the wait...
the rhodes at electric lady definitely sounds awesome. and believe it or not, i only used the DI signal going through neve pre's for the rhodes on voodoo. i've only mic'd a rhodes cabinet a handful of times in my entire career. the majority of the rhodes i've come across don't have cabinets that sound very good to me.

i do eq it and use compression, but there's nothing i do as a standard thing regarding the processing when recording or mixing. i like the 1176, 1178 or LA3A for the rhodes and i've used all types of eq's from neve's to helios'. for voodoo it was that particular rhodes that had a great sound. and i believe it is the same one that stevie wonder used on the albums he did there but i dont recall whether it's a mark l or ll.

cheers
Old 4th April 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Elevado View Post
i believe it is the same one that stevie wonder used on the albums he did there but i dont recall whether it's a mark l or ll.
So you're saying that a great player + a great instrument = great sound!?!

Stevie Wonder's Music of My Mind, Talking Book, and Fulfillingness' First Finale were all done in full or in part at Electric Lady prior to the release of the Mark II in 1979, so that would put it squarely in Mark I territory. If it's the same instrument used on those records, going by the date and the sound, that would make it an early Mark I before the hammer and tine redesign in 1975, resulting in the different sound of the later Mk I's and of the Mk II.
Old 5th April 2007
Lives for gear

Hi Russ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Elevado View Post
the rhodes at electric lady definitely sounds awesome. and believe it or not, i only used the DI signal going through neve pre's for the rhodes on voodoo. i've only mic'd a rhodes cabinet a handful of times in my entire career. the majority of the rhodes i've come across don't have cabinets that sound very good to me.
Are there any DI boxes you favour?

Best Wishes,
Ben.
Old 5th April 2007
Lives for gear

Ive got that same era of Rhodes- they are amazing, id go as far as to say the best!

Its a 1972 suitcase 73, fender badged. The speaker cabinets dont sound anything special though. I never use my cab.I always take a direct feed from the harp into an avalon u5>amek cib or Bc3>1178. The 1178 is an incredible compressor.

Cant beat that sound and with tape in the equasion as well you are laughing!

Cheers for the insight...
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search