The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's moving you now Russ?
Old 21st March 2007
Lives for gear

What's moving you now Russ?

Could I get you to talk about some of the music that you are currently working on?

Thanks very much for your time,
Daniel Asti (LIC - NYC)
danasti (at@(at)) cyber-rights.net (if you have questions, this isso I don't get spam)
Old 24th March 2007
Gear interested

I'd like to echo his question as well as ask, what are you listening to right now? I read through your influences but was just wondering if there was any recent releases that you were enjoying.

Thanks

Jake
Old 24th March 2007
helllo daniel,

i just finished up mixes for talib kweli. i've always wanted to work with him and this album is really strong. songs i worked on were done by hi-tek, mad lib and co production and playing by eric krasno from the group "soulive".

another exciting one for me was mixing a couple songs on angelique kidjo's next album. i got a chance to work with 2 living legends, angelique and producer tony visconti. also one of the songs i mixed featured a duet with peter gabriel. i'm a big fan of gabriel's so it was a real honor for me to "get sounds" on his voice. it gave me goosebumps while i was eq'ing his voice and thinking of something cool to do with him. and also thinking, wow he's gonna hear this when i'm done! the other featured artist, equally exciting, was alicia keys. she sounds better than ever!

also just finished another full album (recorded and mixed) for "Corneille" an artist from canada (originally from Rwanda). another one that's full analog, from start to finish. it's more of a pop album and slightly different departure for me. but he came to me as an artist who is a fan of albums like voodoo, keziah, erykah, etc. so he wanted my analog sound from the beginning and i'm very happy with the album. look for him coming to the US sometime at the end of the year. this will be his first english speaking album.

i've been cutting basic tracks on and off for a year for living legend Al Green. and helping with the song writing and production is ahmir and james poyser! this is going to have a great sound and songs.

another living legend, Roberta Flack, will be blessing my gear again with her voice coming up in the next couple of months with producer/bass player Jerry Barnes whom i worked with on her last album.

i'll be back to talk about stuff i've been producing for "krystle warren & the faculty" and keziah jones.

ps: i apologize if my coming and going on these threads are frustrating at all to anybody, but it's easier for me to do spurts of writing because i may be in the middle of a session and also i'm able to get to other people as well....

all the best
Old 26th March 2007
Lives for gear

Looking forward to hearing Talib Kweil's new stuff...hoping it's not too much of a deviation from Black Star and his first album like the last couple have been.

How was Tony Visconti, any interesting stories?
Old 2nd April 2007
Lives for gear

I would love to hear that Angelique Kidjo mixes!!!
Old 11th April 2007
Lives for gear

Hello Russell!

I've been extremely busy too (or I'd be asking more questions! ) as I haven't had nearly as much time as I'd like to spend on GearSlutz (my fav board for gear, art and people)... It is such an honor to have you here and I can't thank you enough for taking the time to share what is currently going on with your music life.

I love Talib Kweli and I can't wait to hear these mixes. I'm not familiar with Soullive but you can be sure I'll be checkin' them out. Sounds as if you were pretty inspired with the music here. I'm also a huge fan of Peter Gabriel and I can only imagine how awesome that must feel to mix something of his. He has always moved me, especially when I was younger, and the combination of him and angelique kidjo sounds like it must have been something really beautiful to work with.

Can't wait to hear Corneille. I can definetely understand why any artist, from any genre would want to work with you. Al Green, Roberta Flack... jeesh ...

Well all I can say would be to stay true to yourself but you seem to always have done that. From album to album, what I admire most about you is the consistency of sound and a production quality that really stands out there on its own.

Please feel free to hit this thread up with anything that you're doing or anything that you come accross that would be good for us fans of yours to check out! Even if it's not something you did but something you appreciate.

Cheer and thanks so much for taking the time!
Daniel Asti
Old 11th April 2007
Gear addict

Thanks for sharing. I've read all of your posts, and I appreciate you're time here!

frank lyon

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search