The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tracking David Lindley - El Rayo X
Old 23rd July 2015
Lives for gear

Tracking David Lindley - El Rayo X

Thanks for taking the time to do this Q&A.
I love the El Rayo X album. Any stories from that or tips on recording David Lindley.

Great live drum sound, it really sounds like the band in a club.
Any tips for getting the bass to sit like and have all the notes speak.
I noticed the same thing on the Ziggy Marley Dragonfly album. You really nail that vibey reggae bass thing.

thx!

View most liked answer
Old 26th July 2015
Ross Hogarth

I started as David Lindley's guitar tech and he gave me some of my earliest opportunities to engineer and be more than a tech
David Lindley and El Rayo X hold a very special and dear place in my heart
The band became more than a band to me, it was family.
The first record was produced by Jackson Browne as a favor to Lindley and mostly engineered by Greg Ladanyi ( a legend)
I was just a pup and a sponge but I knew what the sounds were supposed to sound like
My most important lesson from back then is if it sounds good in the room
it was the the engineers job to translate it
if it did not sound correct out in the room no amount of engineering can fix that
and if it does not sound great in the control room and great out in live room, somehow what you are doing is causing that translation NOT to happen
Lindley is a tone merchant and I learned a lot of ear training being around him and the guys that he was around
I learned a lot from him, Ry Cooder, Lowell George,Jackson, and that gang back then
it was a fundamental time of my life ...
Old 27th July 2015
Lives for gear

thanks, any specific tips on getting that bass sound? I love how I can hear every note in every line. I know a good bassist is a big part but any insight would be great.

Every time I put on that Lindley stuff, it's like a party! It sounds like you guys were having a great time as it should be.
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search