The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bruce Hornsby
Old 21st July 2015
Lives for gear

Bruce Hornsby

Have been a fan since Day 1 and have seen him several times (being in Virginia doesn't hurt)....the best being just him on piano in Richmond, just blew the doors off of the place. He's always interested me not just in being extremely talented, but so eclectic and such a unique artist, with a sound truly all his own.

I'd be interested to hear any thoughts, impressions, stories, whatever on working with him...eg is he a perfectionist or more of a "let it fly" guy...or a mix of both? I'm betting he's more adept than most at the technical end of things, at least for a musician...true?
Old 21st July 2015
Would love to hear some Hornsby stories too!
Old 22nd July 2015
Ross Hogarth

I've known Bruce since before the the first record
in 1984 when I was an asst eng. He's a lovely guy and yes a perfectionist and one unbelievable musician. I made 2 other really great friends off that record
His drummer John Molo from those early records is one of my best friends still today
and his guitar player George Marinelli , who now plays with Bonnie Raitt, is also one of my dearest friends
those guys were great and they have a legacy of music behind them too

we did part of the first record at Rumbo. Huey Lewis was around ..it was a great time because we had no idea that the record would be best new artist
then the next record, I assisted Neil Dorfsman .. and then the next record they did with my buddy Don Gehman, whom I worked with on Mellencamp and REM
I have utmost respect for Bruce
I actually did live sound for them when they opened up for the Grateful Dead at Laguna Seca in 1988
the very first time that Bruce opened and played before the Dead
that actually was when the Dead filmed the Touch of Grey video at the show at night
That one show, and opening for the Dead
lead to him being a member of the band for a while
actually
I think he was the best musician on the stage for the last few weeks of the dead reunion .. he's been part of that with trey from Phish

the only thing that drove Molo crazy was the drum machine on the first few records
that was the 80's and everyone thought drum machines were cooler than real drummers
finally when they made Hot House and Harbor Lights
Bruce let Molo loose to be the amazing drummer he is
on those 2 records, they made those in his home studio in Virginia and the comfort and looseness shows
they are my fave Hornsby records
I actually think that there is great record out in the future for Bruce ..he's just too good a musician and vocalist to not figure out how to make his epic great record where it all comes together again once and for all
thats my 2 cents
Old 22nd July 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieMotel View Post
the only thing that drove Molo crazy was the drum machine on the first few records
that was the 80's and everyone thought drum machines were cooler than real drummers
Could you elaborate on this? I've heard of the technique in the 80s, where the drummer would provide the hi-hat and cymbals, and the drum machine would do the rest. Is that how it was for Molo?
Old 22nd July 2015
Ross Hogarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by krock2009 View Post
Could you elaborate on this? I've heard of the technique in the 80s, where the drummer would provide the hi-hat and cymbals, and the drum machine would do the rest. Is that how it was for Molo?
yes
for a Miami School of Music graduate with the groove and deep pocket and
musicology of John Molo
playing cymbals and hi hat or
not playing at all was maddening
and then taking it on the road and having the groove and feel , kill the record
was also maddening
this was the 80's when artists and producers were enamored with the newly arrived drum machine
it was insane
it would take 4 times as long, if you were lucky
to get the thing programmed and playing back when you could have had someone play it in 5 minutes
all the drummers at the time were driven mad by this
Jeff Porcaro
Jim Keltner
everyone ...
so heres Molo's deal.... the band gets signed
all amazing musicians
He and Bruce , U of Miami grads ... with amazing chemistry and
they go to make a record
and his drum beats become drum machine ...

I just found this on wikipedia .. so its actually written in the history of the band .. hehe .. they try and make it sound like it was a positive .. but when you hear live recordings, you get a whole different taste of that syncopation and improv ...

[Hornsby and the Range's sound was distinctive for its consistent use of syncopation in his piano solos, a bright piano sound and an extensive use of synthesizers as background for Hornsby's solos, most notable on the tracks "The Show Goes On" and "The Road Not Taken". John Molo's drumbeats were often looped throughout the recorded versions of songs. They are typical double-time beats, which allowed Hornsby and the rest of the band to do more with their solos.]
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search