The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Biggest tracking mistake
Old 18th July 2015
Lives for gear

Biggest tracking mistake

Hey Ross, thanks for taking time to answer these questions. Someone already asked you what your biggest mistake in mixing was.

What about tracking mistakes?
Old 19th July 2015
Ross Hogarth

I make no mistakes ... I'm perfect .. end of story ....
Old 19th July 2015
Ross Hogarth

ok ... ummmm ...biggest mistake .. Not admitting my mistake .. so I would never do it again .. thats the biggest ...

not backing up when I first started using pro tools in the early early days .. and then it crashes and you lose it all .

erasing a kik and snare track when doing overdubs because I was too tired to realize that my kik and snare tracks had somehow gotten into record on an Otari MTR 90

double bussing something to a track and finding out that my track now contains 2 things and I must make it work

How about NOT being in record when the band plays that incredible take and you realize that your an idiot ... I only did that once and for the rest of my career I have recorded every single thing that anyone has ever played .. alway be in record .. you are a recording engineer not an erasing engineer or practice engineer

using a microphone that has diaphragmatic distortion and not paying attention to it ..

PHASE !!! I am now such a phase ****
Phase is everything on drums
so mistake was mics out of phase its almost impossible later to make it sound good

those are some things ... that other guys of course did because like I said .. I am perfect and never make mistakes ... RIGHT !!!???
Old 20th July 2015
Lives for gear

If something goes wrong in a session, it's always the bands fault or the assistant. Haha.

Do you have a certain process when checking phase? Say on a drum set. Do you use meters, ears, or the DAW?
Old 21st July 2015
Ross Hogarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by auralart View Post
If something goes wrong in a session, it's always the bands fault or the assistant. Haha.

Do you have a certain process when checking phase? Say on a drum set. Do you use meters, ears, or the DAW?
yes never my fault of course .. if you'd like .. send us your number and we can make sure the blame is spread around in the future ..

PHASE ... I USE EARS .... EARS ... and I use a cable tester to make sure everything is pin 2 hot
and I use a speaker phase checker to make sure that the speakers are extruding on a positive wave form
BUT
WE ARE ENGIN-EARS NOT ENGIN-EYES

LEARN HOW TO TRUST YOUR EARS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
oh did I say
LEARN HOW TO TRUST YOUR EARS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by the way
did I say
LEARN HOW TO TRUST YOUR EARS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ??
Old 21st July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieMotel View Post
and I use a speaker phase checker to make sure that the speakers are extruding on a positive wave form
Do you find this makes an audible difference?

I've sworn to people it does, just to be laughed at...
Old 22nd July 2015
Ross Hogarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieMotel View Post
Do you find this makes an audible difference?

I've sworn to people it does, just to be laughed at...

==================================

it absolutely makes a difference
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search