The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
FoH engineer toolbox
Old 4th October 2016
Here for the gear

FoH engineer toolbox

Hi Robb,

I'm curious what to invest as an FoH, Mon engineer besides the rental stuff.
Interface? Measurement Tool?

What did you carry in your toolbox for your touring?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11th October 2016
special guest

Hi Ulisun

Now I have a pair of very good Focal near field monitors, I have stands built into my S6L flight case and a bunch of plugin auths on my ilok. I have a laptop that only does Protools. Its never been connected to the internet!! I have Smaart and and a focusrite sound card on a separate laptop and ten year old Sennheiser HD25 headphones. Pretty low key.
Back in the day I had four 12U racks of analogue FX. 12 of the original DBX 160, some Al Smart and Distressor comps, BSS and Drawmer gates, BSS 901s, a pair of Roland space echoes (and spare tapes) Eventide H3000s, couple of SDE 3000s a PCM 70, Rev5, SPX990s. All kinds of stuff and cable looms for days.

If you're using different manufacturers desks a lot I'd maybe carry a couple of things you know work for you like a couple of channels of good compressors and a great reverb. I only ever work on Avid consoles these days so it makes my life much easier.
Also I think you can never have too much education so I'd invest in training. Time alignment and speaker management or networking. Being an expert at radio frequencies is also a great skill to add to your CV.
I wish you all the best for you in your career.
Old 11th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robballan View Post
[...] I have a laptop that only does Protools. Its never been connected to the internet!!
What's the laptop model/OS you're using for this?
(Its getting harder and harder to go "off the gird" for this sorta thing.)
Old 17th October 2016
special guest

Just a macbook air
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search