The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
single coil noise
Old 21st July 2009
Gear addict

single coil noise

Hi John,
Just a question in regards to recording David Gilmour's lead parts... now, obviously the major part of Gilmour's tone is Gilmour himself but I have always wondered how you dealt with recording his Strats without noise. David has said that he likes to track solos with the amps up really loud and he often used a Big Muff to play solos with long sustaining notes and lots of space in between them, yet this is often a recipe for buzz-o-rama. Later on he used EMGs but Meddle and DSOTM were standard vintage singles, no? Any insights appreciated
Old 21st July 2009
Gear nut

Single Coil Noise

You need to talk to Phil Taylor who has handled guitars for David since Wish You Were Here and runs his boat Astoria Studio. He'd know the history and I think has done a book on one guitar David's Black Strat.
Bit too long ago for me to remember... i remember the Binson Echorec, Big Muffs, Fuzzface, Small Stone. Amps would have been Marshall or even Highwatt? I think pedal board was by Kelsey but I may be wrong. Of course Dave would have his own Leslie cabinet too. Somehow noise kept to minimum. We did have Kepex gates at Abbey Road but other than that you'd have to go with the noise or go through and wipe it off tape or cut it manually on the mix.
Cheers
JL
Old 22nd July 2009
Lives for gear

Old 23rd July 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnleckie View Post
We did have Kepex gates at Abbey Road but other than that you'd have to go with the noise or go through and wipe it off tape or cut it manually on the mix.
Wow, gotta love it when a solution is so simple and hands on!
Thanks John...
oh, and might have to invest in that book...
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search