The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Advice for Beginner Engineers
Old 21st July 2009

Hi John i was wondering could you give any advice for a young engineer starting out, i have experience in recording and mixing for the last 2 years and was wondering if there are any specific areas you think a young engineer like myself should focus on learning

Last edited by audiomatic; 27th July 2009 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: make the question more specific and simple
Old 21st July 2009
Gear nut

First thing is I'd aim at doing a session every day for next two years before you think of being an engineer. If you really want to engineer you got to get yourself sessions and offer to record anything and everything you can. You got to learn all areas..mics, outboard, patching, mixing, mastering, be **** hot at ProTools (no good saying 'I use Logic") know how to handle big sessions with ease (and small close ones) and most of all learn how to deal with all sorts of musicians and people who may have egos slightly larger than yours.
Try and find a band you can record and develop.
Hang around studios and let them know what a great bloke you are and hassle them for a job.
Make it an obsession and get to gigs and talk to bands, managers and record companies about possible sessions.
Learn how every piece of standard studio gear works and the best acoustic spaces in room you're working in.
Be disiplined in labeling and cable tidying.
Relax and get plenty of sleep
Hope this is of help..
Good Luck
Cheers
JL
Old 30th July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnleckie View Post
First thing is I'd aim at doing a session every day for next two years before you think of being an engineer. If you really want to engineer you got to get yourself sessions and offer to record anything and everything you can. You got to learn all areas..mics, outboard, patching, mixing, mastering, be **** hot at ProTools (no good saying 'I use Logic") know how to handle big sessions with ease (and small close ones) and most of all learn how to deal with all sorts of musicians and people who may have egos slightly larger than yours.
Try and find a band you can record and develop.
Hang around studios and let them know what a great bloke you are and hassle them for a job.
Make it an obsession and get to gigs and talk to bands, managers and record companies about possible sessions.
Learn how every piece of standard studio gear works and the best acoustic spaces in room you're working in.
Be disiplined in labeling and cable tidying.
Relax and get plenty of sleep
Hope this is of help..
Good Luck
Cheers
JL
i heard a lot of answers to this very question over the years. and this reply is by far the best. honest and focused.

cheers!
Old 30th July 2009
Lives for gear

Thumbs up

Excellent advice. Thanks
Old 1st August 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnleckie View Post
be **** hot at ProTools (no good saying 'I use Logic")
This has made my night!

Cheers,
Blythe
Old 17th August 2009
Lives for gear

Rednose

I printed out a copy for my Assistant, and myself.
Thanks John!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search