The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
sm58, beta? other shure dynamics?
Old 16th July 2009
Gear Addict

sm58, beta? other shure dynamics?

Hi John,
Because you are a pretty big fan of the sm58, I was wondering do you always use the standard sm58 or do you use the Beta 58 as well? If you do use the beta sometimes, for which application do you use which? Also, are you a fan of any of the other Shure dynamics? The sm7, for instance?

Thanks,
Pat
Old 17th July 2009
Gear nut

SM58

I try avoid Beta 58. Its just not the same for me...sounds like something missing or just not as forward? SM7 Yes! Excellent for vocals if voice is a little bright. Very flat sounding and tough. Great on guitar amps but strange on bass or drums as seem a little light compared to D12. Good on toms if you have 3 of them.
Cheers
Jl
Old 18th July 2009
Gear maniac

Do you prefer the 58 to the 57 in all applications? Do you dislike the 57?
Old 26th July 2009
Gear nut

SM58

No. don't dislike 57 at all. Its slightly brighter and 'tighter' sounding to me which is good in some applications. The 58 is flatter and takes eq better and also can be used on vocals without the popping. Sometimes 57 on Marshall amp is to bright if amp sound is bright and using 58 can slightly reduce this. Its a subtle thing.
Cheers JL
Old 26th July 2009
Sen
Gear Addict

hey John,
Have you tried Sm58 on snare..what do you think?.

Thanks very much
Old 26th July 2009
Gear maniac

Hi John,
I Think this is a great topic as lots of people own 58's and 57's i a guess it is easy to dissmiss them because they are so affordable and lots of people who have access to more expensive mics dont like to say they use them.

Are they often a go to mic for you on drums and guitars?
could you give an example of what other mics you might use them with on a kit or amp's

thanks heaps for your time
Old 26th July 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnleckie View Post
SM7 Yes! Excellent for vocals if voice is a little bright. Very flat sounding and tough. Great on guitar amps but strange on bass or drums as seem a little light compared to D12. Good on toms if you have 3 of them.
Cheers
Jl
Do you remove the foam from the sm7 or do you leave it on?
Thanks for your time, John!
Old 28th July 2009
Gear nut

SM58, beta?

For SM7 use foam for vocals but take it off for guitars, floor toms, conga etc
58/57: Yes. they are workhorse mics and rarely fail and often used as a lead test. I go for them to start on guitars and snare drums and you know you're always going to get a usable vocal sound from 58 rather than any other similar. Yes I've taken top off 58 and used on snare and really dont know difference from 57.
Cheers
JL
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search