The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Getting past a musicians ego
Old 12th July 2009
Gear interested

Great to see you Q&Aing on GearSlutz.com.

I am an aspiring producer. I start an MFA in Recording Arts this Fall which will no doubt teach me the ins and outs of music production and audio engineering.
My question pertains more to the psychology of production.
In my experience, most musicians I would like to work with have quite the ego. When approaching them about producing their music, I am hard pressed for evidence that I will be of help. Sometimes word of mouth helps. Sometimes a single session brings them around.

My question: What are some of the ways that a newer producer can demonstrate to a musician that their production techniques will benefit the project/artist's vision?

Thanks for being on the forum.

Kelly Ford
Old 28th July 2009
Gear nut

Don't quite know what you mean by ego? Most creative people have egos and desire to get up on stage and perform demands a bit of that so maybe allow them an ego to get things going. They can do something you can't do which is the music and performance. Maybe you need to get in there and do it for them. Offer to record a live show..mix a track they already done or hang out at rehearsal. You probably need to get some evidence of your production techniques so spread your wings and take any opportunity to get in on a session cos really you learn from experience.
Cheers JL
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search