The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Making your own effects patches and using them in the mix
Old 11th July 2009
Gear Addict

Hi John

I think I remember reading (from the Stone Roses days) that you would obsesively fiddle around with effects units (at home?) to create your own patches.

In my humble opinion one of the best things about that Stone Roses LP was the use of creative mixing to transform some of the songs.

So I wondered if you still have the same approach now that we are swamped with plugins of all kinds, and also if you still use a lot of outboard effects. And has your approach to the use of effects changed over the years?

Many thanks
Malcolm
Old 18th July 2009
Gear nut

Making your own FX

Er...no I dont think I do that kind of thing obsessively at home. I have no studio nor equipment at home. Its always good to come off the preset if you got time and inclination to find something special. Yes with plug ins there's just too much choice and really I still use same fx set up when I start to mix or even record as I always did. As outboard I use EMT plate, SPX90, 900 or better still SPX1000 but nothing too complicated. Lexicon480XL, Lexicon PCM60 and 70. Tape delays and AMS harmoniser and delays though delays done more in computer now to get them spot on. Eventide harmonizer and now finding Sans Amp Classic indispensible when I mix.

Cheers
JL
Old 18th July 2009
MonsterIsland.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnleckie View Post
Er...no I dont think I do that kind of thing obsessively at home. I have no studio nor equipment at home. Its always good to come off the preset if you got time and inclination to find something special. Yes with plug ins there's just too much choice and really I still use same fx set up when I start to mix or even record as I always did. As outboard I use EMT plate, SPX90, 900 or better still SPX1000 but nothing too complicated. Lexicon480XL, Lexicon PCM60 and 70. Tape delays and AMS harmoniser and delays though delays done more in computer now to get them spot on. Eventide harmonizer and now finding Sans Amp Classic indispensible when I mix.

Cheers
JL
How do you used the harmonizer and the Sans Amp in your mixes?
Old 16th August 2009
Gear nut

Usually use Sans Amp classic on bass and sometimes gtrs especially best on acoustic.
harmonizer on good old .99 or 1.01 with no delay. Just a hint of it...
Cheers
JL
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search