The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Producer as an A and R
Old 9th July 2009
Gear Addict

Producer as an A and R

Of these...

a) the skills to pick up good projects
b) trying to make a project sound good

Which should be more of a priority of a producer?

Best,
Emre
Old 24th July 2009
Gear nut

Producer as A&R

Great question best yet!
They go hand in hand really as both has to be good. You always have to make good sound thats right for the project... and complete it in time and do a good job or else no one will use you.
Finding the interesting projects is equally important because if you work with talented people that turn you on then the work is easier and a lot more enjoyable. The skill in finding those jobs is often down to who you are and how you come across and what your taste is. I think you have to get out there and 'network' and get to know the bands, management and record companies and focus in on people who can help you get projects. Most of all be yourself.

Cheers
JL
Old 24th July 2009
Gear addict

Hi John, this prompts the question whether you have a management company looking after you? Or do you think it's more difficult to find the good projects that turn you on via a middle man? Cheers, Recky
Old 24th July 2009
Gear nut

yes, i'd be interested in hearing your opinions and experiences with producer management. Do you expect them to present you with suitable projects as well as you finding your own or do they simply look after your interests when you are working?

Cheers, Dan
Old 25th July 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnleckie View Post
Great question best yet!
They go hand in hand really as both has to be good. You always have to make good sound thats right for the project... and complete it in time and do a good job or else no one will use you.
Finding the interesting projects is equally important because if you work with talented people that turn you on then the work is easier and a lot more enjoyable. The skill in finding those jobs is often down to who you are and how you come across and what your taste is. I think you have to get out there and 'network' and get to know the bands, management and record companies and focus in on people who can help you get projects. Most of all be yourself.

Cheers
JL
Thank you very much for answering my question. Also, I would like to say it was a great experience mixing one of the Soundpad projects (Advaita) during my course in Westminster University a month ago, the production on the album clearly is in line with what you have just explained here: great project, great musicians and a great production! Thanks once again!

Best,
Emre Yazgin
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search