The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Let's talk Adverts!
Old 3rd July 2009
Lives for gear

Let's talk Adverts!

I never really actively participate in these Q&A threads but I was looking down the (long and impressive) list of projects you have been a part of and did a double take when I saw the words The Adverts! This album was the soundtrack of my life for a good part of my youth. I've had to buy the vinyl several times over as they kept getting worn out. (even the one I have now has seen better days). It's a shame that they didn't release more material

I don't have any *specific* question but if you can recall anything about the recording process from this album, I would love to hear about it. Every thing sounds really dark in a cool way and has a ton of energy. As is always the case, I'm sure that has a lot to do with the people playing the instruments but I would still be anxious to hear about any details.

Thanks.

-Preston Jones-
Old 11th July 2009
Gear nut

Lets Talk Adverts

Yes! Adverts! The second album I produced was for Doctors of Madness and Kid Strange was mates with TV Smith and he'd done records for Stiff and the Gary Gilmour's Eyes classic so I jumped at it. I was staff engineer at Abbey Road at the time so it was done in studio 3 over 2-3 weeks. It was EMI Neve 1083 desk, may been Necam mix and all usual Abbey Road mics, Fairchilds, Gain Brains, plates, JBL speakers. Haydn Bendal tape op'd and I did many records at that time with Haydn (XTC, Bebop Deluxe, Magazine) The band were tough and tight and Gaye Advert really drove the band. All tracks cut live, no click ( and no guitar tuners at time). Howard Pickup the guitarist had one sound...buzz through his HH amp combo and the drummers kit was nicked from previous nights gig! Gaye looked great and I can remember the classical musicians' faces when she went for tea in the canteen. People never seen torn jeans before. Me and Tim got on great even though I was an old hippy (turns out he is too...)
Train effects before last track are recorded late one night on train tracks at Westbourne Pk station. Me and Tim climbed down on tracks and I had a EMI TR50 (?) to record underground trains going past on the points. No Time To Be 21 was top twenty hit and they did Top of Pops. Yes it was fun record and a changing time for me as I was on point of leaving Abbey Road and going freelance and we'd just had baby. Ian Brown's favourite album too.
Cheers
JL
Old 25th July 2009
Gear Head

Awesome.
Thanks for the insights !

Your productions influenced my life big time - it was people like you and your likes that made me do this job today.
So - Thank you for the music !
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search