The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
dukes
Old 2nd July 2009
Gear Head

dukes

please tell us anything and everything about the making of the dukes of stratosphear albums... they are radical & the encyclopedia of straight-up awesomeness.

- how did u flange the mix/vocals in "you're my drug"
- where did the bathtub splash come from in "brainiac's daughter"
- was "pale and precious" only on 24 tracks or did u use slave reels on psonic psunpot?
- how awesome is dave gregory?
Old 6th July 2009
Gear nut

Dukes

Hi Strawberrius

Dukes Rule!
OK. Phazing on Drug is actually the whole mix phased and each 2 bars of chorus where he sings 'drug' is phased and cut into the master! So you do your mix onto quarter inch tape at 15ips and then copy it to two stereo tracks of 24track with good line up. Switch one set of tracks to sync and send them to well lined up 15ips tape machine with vari speed. Bring replay output of tape machine up desk set fader to -3db and then set outputs of other set of tracks to -3db. By finding the right point and if levels are equal phasing should occur as speed is changed of quarter inch machine. Depending on music you can really ride the wave with this! Then phase every 'drug' and copy result to second master mix quarter inch and edit in.
Nice one! The splash is actually Andy throwing a huge flat rock into the creek at high tide at Sawmills studio in Cornwall where we recorded. I miked it close in stereo with 87s and yes sounds awesome splosh and dead right for track
Pale and Precious all 24 track and no slaves and no automation on mixdown so all handheld!
Mr Gregory is truly awesome and I'll send him your regards!
Cheers JL
Old 8th July 2009
Just to get this out of the way: I'm a huge fan of your work and it's awesome to see you here on the forum.

On the Grapes of Wrath song "A Fishing tale", the same splash from Brainiac's Daughter shows up in the intro, and the Dukes are credited for it in the album liner notes... any info on how that came about?

That splash really had legs!
Old 13th July 2009
Gear nut

Dukes

Oops dont tell anyone but yes, I think it just fitted so it got left in. And a credit..
JL
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search