The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The line between engineering and producing
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

The line between engineering and producing

Hi Ken,

When you are involved in a project in an engineering role, how do you deal with artists who ask your musical opinion? I have my own experiences with this, but I'm wondering whether it happens much or at all with the high-level artists you're working with. Do you avoid commenting when and if they ask? How do you view the boundary between engineering and being a producer? Do you have any interesting stories about this? Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us on this forum.
Old 15th January 2011
special guest

Hi, I moved into production because I got fed up with making musical suggestions and if they worked the producer took the credit and if they didn't......"Oh well it was only Ken's idea, but I thought it was worth trying". Do you know that one?

Anyway, as soon as I could afford to, I stopped engineering other than my own sessions. It made the line very simple. I have since done "just" some engineering, but it was working with an old friend and I was being very well paid and so I didn't mind putting forth production suggestions.

Cheers
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search