The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
live tracking
Old 4th January 2011
Gear interested

live tracking

Hi Ken, fist of all I want to say thanks for all the great records. I've probably spent over twice as much time listening to the white album and honky dory than any other records, and they really made me want to make records.

Anyhow, I've read quotes from producers who've been around since the early sixties, who feel that the time when a lot of things (or all) were being tracked live were the most exciting and created the best records, and that they lost interest as things went away from that. I don't know how live the records I mentioned were, but do you feel that at all, that you don't see as many bands just playing together in the studio, or do you care?

Basically I'm curious if you feel like there was a period where things were just about right (and if so in what ways), or if you are as happy now making records as any time, as long as the artist has talent...

Excuse me if you've already covered this, thanks!

Jason
Old 13th January 2011
special guest

Hi Jason, It's very much different strokes for different folks. I have obviously worked under all conditions. From the virtually live Mahavishnu Orchestra to Missing Persons with Terry Bozzio putting down his drum tracks with absolutely no other instruments playing.

I have often been told that my records lack the feel of a live performance. My answer to that is that it's all about perception. The second album I did with the Dixie Dregs had several numbers recorded live at the Montreaux Jazz Festival. I've always been told that those tracks really feel better. What no-one realizes is that we only kept the drums from the original performance and rerecorded everything else, mistakes included. The perception is that it's live and so the perception is that it feels better.

Cheers
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search