The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mary Hopkin
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear interested

Mary Hopkin

Hi Ken,

I've always loved the 2 Mary Hopkin albums on Apple Records that you worked on (1969's "Postcard" and 1971's "Earth Song, Ocean Song").
Are there any recollections or stories from those sessions that you could share with us?

The mixing job you did on the latter album is one of my all-time favorites! Very spacious - yet warm and intimate. Not an easy trick to do.
Best of all it doesn't sound dated - unlike many other folk albums from that era.

Thank you for taking the time to chat with us!
Old 14th January 2011
special guest

Hi, Wow, Ive just realised that I have to be completely insane. Here I am listening to the somewhat bizarre Tubes album I did whilst trying to remember working with Mary Hopkin. What an utterly weird life I've led. Oh well.

Postcard. I remember having the prettiest mic set up I've ever seen on one of the sessions for that album. It was just Mary, Paul and Donovan, it was in Number One studio, the really large studio and the set up was just 3 C12s set up in a triangle. One each for 2 acoustic guitars and one for Mary's vocal. It sounded wonderful and just looked so aesthetically pleasing. Strange the things one remembers.

As far as the later album, I didn't even realise I mixed the whole thing. I remember working with Tony Visconti on it but for how long I have no idea. Or anything else about it in all honesty.

Cheers
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search