The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bowie the engineer?
Old 13th December 2010
Lives for gear

Bowie the engineer?

Dear Ken

Hunky Dory and Ziggy are still my favourite 2 albums of all time. I am intrigued by Bowie's input into recording from the engineering side. Reading that he likes to stay very much in control, I wonder how much input he had into the recording techniques, equipment etc and to what degree did he like to elbow the engineer off the desk and start riding the faders himsef. This is particularly interesting to me because I also recently heard that the final mix for Ziggy was done almost overnight and in his absence?

Regards,
RICHARD
Old 14th January 2011
special guest

Hi Richard, I'd love to know either what you're reading or what you're smoking. David did not like being in the studio and wanted out as fast as possible. He never said anything about the equipment or the sound and most certainly the last thing he would have done back then would have been to take over on the faders.

As far as mixing, each album took about 2 weeks to mix and he was virtually never there for the mixes. I can only think of 2 occasions when he chose to assist.

Cheers
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search