The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Shania Guitars and Bass
Old 15th June 2004
Gear interested

Shania Guitars and Bass

Mike, can you go into a bit of detail.. Were these amps or PODs (or insert other modules)

Alot of layers?

Thx, Cheers!
Old 17th June 2004
Captain

Joe , I'm not sure which of the records I worked on you are referring to because both of her last 2 main versions of the records had completely different ways of doing both the bass the guitars and the drums. For the various versions of the records the bass, drums and gtrs changed depending on what territory Mutt as aiming at.
But on the last album , Mutt payed most of the gtrs , but not thru an amp (unfortunately) and a guitarist called Michal Thompson came out to Switzerlnd while we were mixing to add a lot more guitars that were also heavily edited in the mix. Mutt had also flown some Nashville guys out to the Bahamas to add parts for the country stuff , some of which also ended up on the pop version.
The bass was played and then hacked up and each note was re tuned and retimed and put back together so that the part could be changed and so that a synth could be added and help the sound but not "rub" with dissonant tuning.
The previous record was done completely differently.
Old 17th June 2004
Lives for gear

Ship - I'm speechless

thanks

Jo
Old 17th June 2004
Gear interested

Mike, Thanks for the reply..... I should have been more detailed in my questioning, I was more so refering to the "Come on Over" album. Rock This Country has an amazingly tight bass sound. Very perfected and quantized sounding.
Old 18th June 2004
Captain

Joe , on those songs it was synth bass and gtrs doubling the bass . Synth bass is hard cos of the way certain notes always "boom out" so controlling the bottom is hard so time was taken.
Old 18th June 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by shipshape
Joe , on those songs it was synth bass and gtrs doubling the bass . Synth bass is hard cos of the way certain notes always "boom out" so controlling the bottom is hard so time was taken.

Mike, do you guys come up with these ideas out of the blue or from past experiences doing such things ? Or friendly mistakes where you decided to use bass synth and someone played guitar over it and you said, hey stop right there that sounds cool!! type of thing ? I ask this.. because I have seen posts of you doing many Un-Natural things I would never think of doing, it's amazing!!! Is everything planned ??? Thank You!
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search