The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Producer
Old 11th June 2004
Lives for gear

The Producer

Mike, I was wondering and you would be the best to ask.

With the experience you had working with different producers, do you think in order to be a great producer you also have to be a great song writer? Do these two have a relation in particular, or need not to be related ??? Please let me know what you think. Thank You!
Old 11th June 2004
Lives for gear

Excellent question.
Old 11th June 2004
Captain

That is an interesting question , when I think about all the diferent types of producer's I've mixed records for , the songwriting skills of the producer been the key to a lot of successful records but there are many successful records made by engineer type producers like Jimmy Iovine etc who are more of a catalyst in getting great performances or adding a particularly desired sonic stamp to a record who in the right situation also make a great record , but there are just as many of either types who miss by a mile so good song "sensibility " no matter from whom it comes is really one of the many keys for sure. Wow , what a vague answer , sorry!
Old 13th June 2004
Lives for gear

thanks for the reply Mike, yes.. I guess there is no definitive answer. You made me think alot about the sonic stamp you talk about. And yes, now that I think about it.. every record that was converted into a classic and timeless, has a sonic stamp. It doesn't matter how "good" it sounds or "bad", it's authentic and even though the "the guy at the gas station" can't tell you, yeah they tuned their guitars to open string chords.. they can definetly tell it moves them or not. Even though "pop" music is sometimes taken as lame, or easy.. I find it extremely complex. thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts.
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search