The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tracking?
Old 10th June 2004
Moderator emeritus

Tracking?

Hey, Mike!
Do you still work on tracking sessions, or does mixing take all of your time these days?
Old 11th June 2004
Captain

I don't track sessions any more , and havn't except for a few exeptions for some time because I've been mixing only for a lot of years now. I overdub a lot as that is a part of my gig often , as well as added production when asked for. There is often a lot of leeway and that makes it a lot of fun.
Old 11th June 2004
Moderator emeritus

I guess the next question is, do you miss doing tracking dates? And the followup, I guess, is do you think that mixing as much as you have for the last few years would make you a better tracking engineer? (or at least make what you deliver to the mixer well organized?).
Old 13th June 2004
Captain

The standard of a lot of recorded drums can be pretty grim a lot of the time and need plenty of work, there are records that are tracked great , but they are the exception really , but as for whether I could get a better sound , not with the speed that records are made at these days !. I used to have to mess around a lot to get happy with a drum sound, so making them work in a mix is a lot more fun !!.
Old 13th June 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by shipshape
The standard of a lot of recorded drums can be pretty grim a lot of the time and need plenty of work, ...
Amen brother!

I kind of feel like there are three stages to my work these days.

1 - the fixing stage, where you have to hammer on the tracks to even get them to sound passible.
2 - the arrangement stage, where you wade through WAY too many tracks played from top to bottom with no regard to song form.
3 - Finally I get to mix and respond to the emotion of the song with balances and fader moves.

Even though I make most of my money 'tooling this way, I still prefer a well recorded piece where I can get right to the good stuff.
Old 13th June 2004
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by shipshape
I don't track sessions any more , and havn't except for a few exeptions for some time because I've been mixing only for a lot of years now. I overdub a lot as that is a part of my gig often , as well as added production when asked for. There is often a lot of leeway and that makes it a lot of fun.
What would be the most commen overdubs ( drums ,vocals etc)
you do? Thanks in advance.
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search