The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Reverbs on Drums
Old 8th June 2004
Lives for gear

I recall reading somewhere that the BiB drums were tracked seperately, as in kick and snare together, then toms, then cymbals... could be total horse**** but maybe Mike could shed some light!
Old 8th June 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by jpaudio
I recall reading somewhere that the BiB drums were tracked seperately, as in kick and snare together, then toms, then cymbals... could be total horse**** but maybe Mike could shed some light!
Jules posted an mp3 of an all-girl band with a not-so-competent drummer that was tracked in a similar manner.
Old 8th June 2004
Captain

the BIB drums certalnly were not done piecemeal those guy's nail it as a band and always have in the studio.
Old 8th June 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by shipshape
the BIB drums certalnly were not done piecemeal those guy's nail it as a band and always have in the studio.
Very nice to know... thanks Mike!
Old 8th June 2004
Lives for gear

I prefer to use the natural sound of a room whenever possible. If that's not gonna work, I'll use any reverb that has a decent room sound, and keep it nice and tight...unless it's a power ballad
Old 8th June 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules

Room mic's or even compressed close mic'ed drums give me enough reverb most times... I often run a snare through a distortion plug in - that "creates" a sort of 'reverb'...
Hey again Jules, would you be willing to shed some light on the kinds of settings/plugs your talking about here?

Today I compressed some overheads and some room mikes, but I'm not sure if I'm trying to crush and pump them or treat them more lightly.
Also, what do you use when you say you distort the snare, I'm sure there must be some that are better than others for this job.

Old 9th June 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by GRiFF
Some of you have talked about useing a reverb on the snare if it really needs it.
Does this mean you try and find a reverb that matches the sound of the original room...or that you try and find a larger than life reverb?
When the drums are recorded in a very small room, I tend to use some reverb to fake a bigger studio. Sometimes I compress this reverb and put an expander on it, just to make it sound more like a NUKED room mic...
Old 9th June 2004
Lives for gear

That sounds like your after quite an aggressive kit sound, what about when your working with a band that is less heavy, more melodic indie pop.

I've had mixed results getting a nicely coloured sound, that isn't just distorted.
Old 9th June 2004
Lives for gear

I've once used reverb on the room mics , cause it was tracked at a dry small room. It really gave the idea that it was tracked at a bigger room.
Any one else tried this method?
Old 9th June 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've once used reverb on the room mics , cause it was tracked at a dry small room. It really gave the idea that it was tracked at a bigger room.
Yep...

This is about the only way I find reverb (in the basic definition of the word) used on my drums, to me it is the most realistic way to add verb. Now realism is not always the goal but I tend to lean on the organic side when mixing and verb on room mics feels the most real to me. YMMV and all that...
Old 11th June 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by shipshape
Yep there are delays and also a old 910 harmoniser on the snare on that album , with the feedback turned up and pitched down to give some lenght to the snare on BIB. Pretty standard trick in them olden days
I'd be curious to hear the harmoniser trick discussed in more detail.
Old 11th June 2004
Captain

It was just a way of giving a snare sound more length and a deeper tone , by triggering a 910 harmonizer from the snare and having the harmonizer detuned depending what type of fattness you were after and the feedback was turned up to a hard to find place where it didn't sound too odd. Just tucked under the snare very subtly would work really great sometimes and not at all on others. It's a hit and miss technique but we used to use it a lot a long time ago.
Old 11th June 2004
Lives for gear

Could this be setup using a different piece of hardware/software? What are the main parameters/settings that are required?

I don't have a 910, but if I'd like to find away to try this technique out.
Loading mentioned products ...
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search