The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Shania MITB?
Old 5th June 2004
Gear interested

Shania MITB?

Hi Mike!!

I admire you work right now listening to Shania's latest three albums. I read threads about your MITB and I wonder if you did that for Shania too or have you summed all that unbelieveable number of tracks with SSL?

Thanks for your time
Old 5th June 2004
Gear nut

Re: Shania MITB?

Quote:
Originally posted by bopsi
Hi Mike!!

I admire you work right now listening to Shania's latest three albums. I read threads about your MITB and I wonder if you did that for Shania too or have you summed all that unbelieveable number of tracks with SSL?

Thanks for your time
Just to clarify, the breakthrough album for Shania, which had "Any Man of Mine" on it, was mixed by Lynn Petersall (sp?), who passed away during the making of the second album, which I believe Mike mixed (as well as the third). I know that Mike would never claim responsibility for anything he hadn't mixed, but I thought I'd beat him to it here to clear it up. And by the way, the Shania records, and Mutt's stuff in general, are absolutely brilliant to me. I don't care how long he spends, or to what lengths he goes to to achieve what he does. It is simply amazing record production to me.

Mr. Truth
Old 5th June 2004
Gear interested

When I say LAST THREE I mean GREEN, RED and BLUE, that is the last album in all three versions...just to clarify my thoughts!
Old 5th June 2004
Captain

The pop version was mixed on a SSL Axiom in Switzerland along with the country version which had different instrumentation than the pop version. It was a long process because a lot of the arrangements were done it the mix and I was dealing with the Axiom !!! I had spent some time in England at SSL working on the redo-of the eq and dynamics so that the board was useable but it wa kinda hard . I would do a lot of stuff in Protools because the board just wasn't user friendly.
The" world" version was done all on a mac laptop after a couple of English guys had gone to India to record all the great musicians that they could.
We also did a surround mix which was done on a Euphonix series 5. But yes there were 3 versions of the last album released as wellas numerous other single versions. Mutt believes in covering his bases!!!
Old 5th June 2004
Lives for gear

yea, the Axiom is kind of a turd. The few times I've mixed on it weren't fun.
drew
Old 5th June 2004
Gear interested

So you didn't summ anything on any analog SSL?? You did all that with you PT/Cranesong stuff and digital mixers?!?!
Well, now I am kind a disappointed that PT sounds so good! I thought only SSL can sound that brilliant :-)
Old 6th June 2004
Lives for gear

I hope this doesn't digress into a summing thread, but I've done the ProTools/SSL summing test - many times. It's actually part of my method - get the mix happening in ProTools, then if there's budget, spread it out on the SSL. I always print the ProTools stereo mix through a pair of faders, and then subsequent mixes as it expands across the console, before ever messing with EQ, compression or automation. No one I've polled has ever been able to tell the difference between the ProTools mix and the stems through the console mix.
Old 6th June 2004
Gear interested

Yeah? Why FOLCROM than?
Old 6th June 2004
quote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MIke said:
Pop and Country versions were made using an SSL "PITA" Axiom and world version was made using a Lap top, surround mix was made using a Euphonix System 5.

Best regards.

Armando Avila.
Old 6th June 2004
Captain

Bopsi,we didnt do any analog summing on the Shania stuff on the last record(or 3 versions of it )
Mutts studio in Swizerland is all digital and about as impressive a set-up as you could imagine given that it was all digital. Massive routers , all that crap. Plus silly amounts of analog gear if we need it.
The Folcrom has only been around for a little while , and I get benefit from it but it's a personal thing.
The previous record (come on over) was mixed on a SSL9k
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search