The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Progression over time
Old 4th June 2004
Lives for gear

Progression over time

Mike, I was just reading over your posts (which have been invaluable thus far, cheers!), and thought of something interesting... at this point in my young career, I can look back at my work from a year ago and hear the mistakes I made due to lack of experience, ears not trained as well as they are today, etc., and i'm sure that a year from now, i could just as easily look back at today's work in the same way. It's a constantly evolving process that will last as long as one chooses this field as a profession. But my question for you is, is there a point at which you more or less plateau? I'm sure you still learn something from every project, I mean what fun would it be if we didn't, but was there a point at which you felt content, stopped looking back with regret or disgust on past efforts (like so many of us do years and years into our careers), and although i'm sure you still face new challenges and even create your own ways of making things exciting, was there ever a moment at which you realized "I can do this at the most competetive level possible", or did it just start happening and kept happening without a change in your perception or demeanor?

Thanks Mike, it's been a great time already and we gearslutz truly appreciate this oppurtunity!
Old 4th June 2004
Lives for gear

good post. what's worse for me is the fact that my work goes in cycles. I'll listen to a record I did in '96 and think, ****, that smokes what I'm doing now. so then I'm trying to figure out what's different about how I'm doing things, gear, rooms, etc..... never ending.

does anybody just sit down and work with full confidence knowing they are nailing as they are.....nailing it? I sure as hell don't. it usually takes me 6-9 months away from something to re-listen and really see what I did and didn't do right.
drew
Old 4th June 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by drew

does anybody just sit down and work with full confidence knowing they are nailing as they are.....nailing it?
Not me, definitely not. I am however enjoying the journey and slowly getting into the "this actually sounds a little like a record i.s.o. a demo"-ballpark.
However, it's easier for me to listen to stuff I did a year after and feel kinda relaxed about it than when I'm still working on it.
Sending stuff to the mastering guy knowing that this one's history, makes me nervous definitely.

I'm only doing this for a couple of years though...

Greetings,
Dirk

P.S. great question
Old 4th June 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by drew
it usually takes me 6-9 months away from something to re-listen and really see what I did and didn't do right.
Saem here, i need time to step away and distance myself from a project before I can truly assess whatever the hell I did to screw it up!
Old 5th June 2004
Lives for gear

I'm with you Drew. I sit back and hear some things from the past and think it's great and others suck. I guess it depends on the Artist/band I had at that time.

Some times (sometimes) I do stuff and it's cool while I'm doing it then later I hate it. Then other times it's backwards. Plus there are times like recently when the band just doesn't have the dough and I have to rush. But I guess if we liked very thing we did we'd never have anything to work towards.

Drew I've heard some stuff recently you did I thought sounded really good.
Old 5th June 2004
Lives for gear

cool, thanks.

i know who ran out of money too!!! but i'm sure you whipped them into shape
Old 5th June 2004
Lives for gear

heh
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search