The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Splender/Rundgren
Old 4th June 2004
Lives for gear

Splender/Rundgren

So how was that gig? I was wondering if that may have been a MIB for you. It didn't seem to have the low end you normally do so well.

Was that a Todd thing? His records never have much bottom.

It's really cool seeing you here. I've grown up on some many records you've done.

Thanks for it all.
Old 4th June 2004
Lives for gear

I have two different mp3's of one of their songs and I think they both sound beautiful, though I prefer one over the other. I wonder which mix is Mike's?
Old 4th June 2004
Captain

I'm not sure which mix either..on one of their songs , after the album was done we totally rerecorded one song for a single and did seperate single mixes for the other candidates.
Todd bailed on the album early for personal reasons and the band finished it off on their own.
It certainly got a lot thinner in mastering and I'm not even going to go there on this one, but they are a great band and like so many others should have done a lot better.
I'm a Todd fan also so it was fun.
Old 4th June 2004
Lives for gear

That is a great album, my producer partner and I were listening to it 2-3 years ago as a reference for a similar type of band. Cheers Mike!
Old 4th June 2004
Lives for gear

great stuff

I was splender's FOH engineer on the few tours they got to do.

Man, those guys burn.
They had nothing but great things to say about YOU Mike.

Trying to match your sound in a live situation was a great challange and I tried my best to get as close as possible.

I almost called you a couple times to ask about acoustic guitar sounds.
JD didn't think it was a good idea.

Cheers' you rock.

theo mack
Old 4th June 2004
Lives for gear

I thought that band was pretty cool myself.

The mixes were nice..Just light in the low end.

Funny Todd didn't make it through something else.
Old 4th June 2004
Captain

Todd has a very specific way he likes to work in that he likes to spend a lot of time in pre-production (this is what Splender and others that have worked with Todd say..) getting the arrangements just right and then when it comes to recording he really wants to get it down fast , vocals and gtr o/d's , all in a few days and he engineers it all himself. Some bands find it a little hard when they have been used to spending some time with their vocals etc.
Either way he has been a favourite of mine since I was a kid. And I would have loved it if he had been around for the mix.
Old 4th June 2004
Gear addict

is splender still around?

I saw em a few years ago when they broke, there must have been about 10 people at that gig including the band and bar staff (pretty depressing). They were tight as hell but They looked young. Maybe they were good at hiding their age.

I thought their songs were really strong radio songs. They should of been huge IMO. I guess clive davis thought the same.

Are your guys referring to the first splender record? The second one is pretty good too.
Old 4th June 2004
Lives for gear

I had to pop it in again last night now after talking about it.

Mine is like a prerelease came in a cardboard sleeve.

I know the song order on mine is different then the one they released.

But the bottom sounds out of phase. I wish you could hear it and tell me if I got some weird copy. The toms are clicky and the kick sounds like it's just room mics. bass is weak too. Thats why it sounds out of phase to me. Not just drums a little of everything.

Strange. I know it's not Mike's doing.
Old 5th June 2004
Lives for gear

pre release mix

I bet you got the pre release cd with the todd roughs.
Mike's mixes are nice and tight on the bottom.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search