The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Do's and Don'ts for EQ'ing Vocals?
Old 3rd June 2004
Gear Head

Do's and Don'ts for EQ'ing Vocals?

Hey everyone --

I've just recently got into the whole mixing process for vocals, ( right now its mainly hip hop )
i usually record vocals flat with about 2:1 of compression and a high/low pass filted ( nothing let in under 80-100hz ) ( not too much going in ), and then add more compression and EQ with Waves plug-ins afterwards...

I'd like to know if you have any tips ( dos and donts ) for EQ'ing vocals?

At the moment im usually just boosting the mids and nothing else really..

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 3rd June 2004
Re: Do's and Don'ts for EQ'ing Vocals?

Quote:
Originally posted by DjRio
( nothing let in under 80-100hz )
Why not?
Old 3rd June 2004
Gear Head

Damn i really couldnt tell u actually!
I just remember when i someone was showing me how to use preamps,
they said that when recording vocals, turn on the filter and set it around 60-80hz...
So i've just been doing that..

Would u suggest keeping it off?
Old 3rd June 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by DjRio

Would u suggest keeping it off?
I would suggest to use your ears(and this not me being sarcastic by the way).

The reason most people do it is either to cut rumble or any low info in the room that's brought out because of the compression or because they don't know that there is frequency info down there in the voice.

Yeah the freqs are low and sometimes small(if a female), but some of the chest is down there.

If its a male rapper than yeah its significant(especially since most guys wannna sound heavy and thick anyway).

I would say next time when tracking the vocals listen through the mic raw with no compression(i know what a concept) and see if it needs it.

You may need it if:

1) The rapper moves from side to side or forward and backward- my soultion for this is to mark the floor(boundary) and just let them know that you are not interested in killing their flow, but if they stay within the marked boundaries the vocal takes will sound better than they already sound(everybody loves some positive direction).

2) If he is spittin the rhymes from paper instead of "off the head"- this is trickier but try to position the mic stand as high as possible where they can see the paper an you can still position the mic to get as much direct sound.

I used to do these first with no compression, but when none worked than i would compress very lightly, not to hear it, but to control the dynamics slightly.

I did at times EQ the mics if it was a U87 and i knew what i wanted. If i wasn't sure about the mic or the room i just left it alone.
Old 3rd June 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
2) If he is spittin the rhymes from paper instead of "off the head"- this is trickier but try to position the mic stand as high as possible where they can see the paper an you can still position the mic to get as much direct sound.

I hate it when they do that. It usually hurts the performance and "feel" of the vocals....sounds like they're reading a book...but then again I'm sure there's guy's who are good at this...
Old 4th June 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by djui5
I hate it when they do that. It usually hurts the performance and "feel" of the vocals....sounds like they're reading a book...but then again I'm sure there's guy's who are good at this...
I agree.

Sometimes a rhyme is written on the spot so its the only way to go.
Old 7th June 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor

I did at times EQ the mics if it was a U87 and i knew what i wanted. If i wasn't sure about the mic or the room i just left it alone.
I'm recording a male rapper on a U87, what kind of EQ moves did you like to use on it for recording these beasts?

Thanks
Nate
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search