The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Palmer Speaker Simulator
Old 2nd June 2004
Moderator emeritus

Palmer Speaker Simulator

Mike, you mentioned this box in another thread - which one are you talking about? The mono box or ther stereo box?
Old 2nd June 2004
Captain

Dave I'm talking about a mono passive box that was discontinued over 10 yrs ago over a patent problem. I know they have a new one out but can't vouch for it Dave.
The old ones are as rare as hen's teeth to find these days.
Old 2nd June 2004
Moderator emeritus

I was afraid of that... Thanks, Mike!
Old 3rd June 2004
Mindreader

Old 3rd June 2004
Moderator emeritus

Thanks, Bev - saw a picture on a couple of web sites this afternoon...
Old 3rd June 2004
Lives for gear

Hey Dave, the guys over at Techstar handle the Palmer line.
They might have one to try.
Old 3rd June 2004
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by shikawkee
Hey Dave, the guys over at Techstar handle the Palmer line.
They might have one to try.
Well, the thing is Mike said that the cool one is long out of production...
Old 3rd June 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin
Well, the thing is Mike said that the cool one is long out of production...
Dave,

You know you have now probably driven the prices for these things on Ebay through the roof!!
Old 3rd June 2004
Lives for gear

It would be interesting to hear a comparison of the old vs new... I've got a PGA-04 that I like quite a bit.
Old 3rd June 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim L
It would be interesting to hear a comparison of the old vs new... I've got a PGA-04 that I like quite a bit.
The Palmer I heard was the current production model Dave.
It sounded much better than almost every one of the modelers I've heard thus far. It would be interesting to compare the two.
Old 3rd June 2004
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
Dave,

You know you have now probably driven the prices for these things on Ebay through the roof!!
Err, you're right. What I meant to say was that Mike mentioned that the early ones were long ago superceded by better units...
Old 3rd June 2004
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
The Palmer I heard was the current production model Dave.
It sounded much better than almost every one of the modelers I've heard thus far. It would be interesting to compare the two.
We need to do that one of these days, Ed - not next week, but maybe the week after that...
Old 3rd June 2004
Gear Guru

Old 3rd June 2004
Old 3rd June 2004
member no 666

I've never heard the old one... but the PGA-04 has been working very well for me. FWIW Dave, I prefer it to the stereo PGA-05... which might have something to do with it having a load on it that the 05 doesn't have.
Old 3rd June 2004
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
Dave,

That is great, because I got one of the old ones sitting right here. I'll trade you for, eh, your Manley SLAM !heh
Old 3rd June 2004
Lives for gear

AFAIK, Palmer had to discontinued the old one because they copied the patent rights of the Groove Tube simulator - which is still made today.

None of them really sound like a mic'd amp in a room, but that's just me.
Old 3rd June 2004
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
FWIW Dave, I prefer it to the stereo PGA-05... which might have something to do with it having a load on it that the 05 doesn't have.
Thanks for the info, Fletcher! One of these days, I'm gonna take a day or two and try the various Palmers, and i'll keep that in mind.
Old 3rd June 2004
Lives for gear

BTW Dave: Both the club owner and the sound/booking guy from Tuesday wanted to know who the bass player was. I think they wuz impressed. heh

Thanks for playing. I hope y'all come back next month.
Old 3rd June 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by Bernd G
That is great, because I got one of the old ones sitting right here. I'll trade you for, eh, your Manley SLAM !heh
Sorry my friend,

The only thing i hate more than tracking guitars(or tracking period) is guitar players themselves.

At least drummers get tired and put the sticks down once in a while.
Old 3rd June 2004
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
BTW Dave: Both the club owner and the sound/booking guy from Tuesday wanted to know who the bass player was. I think they wuz impressed. heh
Cool! Glad they liked it!
Old 4th June 2004
Lives for gear

As far as I know the model that is a copy of the Groove Tubes was the original Marshall SE-100 which was built under license using some of the same technology as the GT and therefore discontinued when the license arrangement stopped. The PDI-03 is an earlier product than the GT and the Marshall.

I have heard the PDI-03 and have never heard the PDI-04 but people I know that have heard both say that while the PDI-04 is good it is not as good as the PDI-03. Now that might have a lot to do with the fact that they're getting hard to find...

And in relation to the price: yup they've gone up which is bad because they were already fetching silly money on ebay a few years back - mainly due to the Van Halen connection which is well documented in certain guitar quarters... I had originally had two and sold one of them on ebay to Joe Satriani of all people. Apparently he is a bit of a collector - he certainly paid well - in excess of 1000 dollars (and that was when the dollar was doing good against Sterling).

How much they're going for now I don't know - my last one is just sitting here waiting for... yeah a SLAM would be a good idea... maybe an SSL 384... IMHO a 57 still does a much better job, but that may well be because I don't know how to treat the Palmer with comp/eq. In fact: if Mike or anyone else has any ideas they'd want to share on that that would be cool...
Old 4th June 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin
Cool! Glad they liked it!
Thanks Dave to you and the band. I hope y'all come back !!!
Old 4th June 2004
Lives for gear

PDI-04(?)... is there such a beast? Do you mean the PGA-04?

As far as processing I tend to treat it petty much like a mic'd speaker... comp/ eq if I feel the need. The unit's got some pretty cool voicing stuff right on board with the ability to either use the voiced signal, the "full range" sound, or mix them to taste. Adding just a whisp of reverb (a room preset usualy) can work wonders... at least for me.
Old 7th June 2004
Lives for gear

You're spot on Tim... PGA-04 is exactly what it's called. Sorry.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search