The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Catherine Wheel
Old 2nd June 2004
Gear nut

Catherine Wheel

Hi Mike! I am a huge Catherine Wheel fan. Which album did you work on with them? I have always loved their guitar sound, care to share some details of how it was recorded?
Old 2nd June 2004
Captain

The Catherine Wheel album was their last album , it was quite odd to mix really because it was recorded outside.........and in Cornwall so whenever it rained during a take......the drummer would have to take all his stuff inside etc....btw the mic's were hanging from tree branches!!!. I've mixed some very odd records , but I love Catherine Wheel also.
Old 2nd June 2004
Was that at Sawmills studio?

If so, did you use the 'creek' reverb? (good init?)

Old 2nd June 2004
Gear nut

Their last album "Wishville" is a great album! All of the slutz should own a copy! Recorded outdoors huh...interesting, I have always wondered what that would sound like...

A couple of the tracks on that album have some hyper compressed drums. Really different and wild sounding. The snare sounds are quite different too.

Brilliant work Mike!!
Old 2nd June 2004
Lives for gear

was that the CW album that Jason Corsaro was also involved in? Or was that a different release?
Old 2nd June 2004
Gear nut

From the "Wishville" liner notes....

"Engineered by Jason Corsaro"
Old 2nd June 2004
Captain

Yes Jason engineered it and from what I remember it was very hard for him to go along with some of their recording tecnniques!!!!
Mixing it was a lot of fun because we put the drums thru mxr pedals and fun stuff......Tim Freeze-green is a great producer and he was one of the original "Wessex" engineers who I assisted for so it was great to be mixing for him. There was even one point in the record where the band wanted amp hum in a silent break......of course as we were at the Record Plant in L.A. we just mic'd anamp up and recorded the noise but nooooo..it had to be English amp noise !!!! so they had some buzz recorded in England and sent over.....blooby fussy English bands lol. Wishville was fun to be involved in for sure.
Old 2nd June 2004
Lives for gear

Congrats Mike on the mixing job of that record. Its one of my favorite!

On the song "gasoline" (track2) ,was the drum sound something that you tricked out in the mix , or did they track it like that. I allways thought it was the perfect feel for that track and have tryed getting similar room tones..

Anyhow, glad to have you hear!

ERic
Old 2nd June 2004
Captain

Gasoline was only room mic's but it was samples recorded in Tim's (the producer) loft at his house.
He multi sampled all the snare hits etc and we used just the ambience for the mix.
Old 2nd June 2004
Gear nut

Quote:
There was even one point in the record where the band wanted amp hum in a silent break......of course as we were at the Record Plant in L.A. we just mic'd anamp up and recorded the noise but nooooo..it had to be English amp noise !!!! so they had some buzz recorded in England and sent over.....blooby fussy English bands lol. Wishville was fun to be involved in for sure.
HA!! I'll take 60Hz amp buzz over 50Hz anyday, but that's just my preference...
Old 2nd June 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Gasoline was only room mic's but it was samples recorded in Tim's (the producer) loft at his house.
Cool. I kinda thought it was along that lines. I'll have to try that on my next CW type band (hehe)

ERic
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search