The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Detail
Old 28th September 2005
MonsterIsland.com

Detail

If I asked the question directly, I think it would be unanswerable, so I'm going to twist it a little.

Knowing what you know now, if you were an A&R guy hiring a someone to mix an album, what level of detail would you want/expect them to take it to?

I thought of this while mixing tonight where I rode a vocal and for a word and a half it was about .3dB too hot. I thought to myself, that doesn't really matter, but I turned it down to where I thought it should be. There a lots of times where people agonize of details that no one is ever going to notice or care about - I think. I know sometimes I have to balance this out with my client's budgets. I work fast, but still, correcting ever .3dB issue takes time and of course getting things to sit within +/-.1 db of perfect takes even more. In some cases I have clients who ask to record and mix 8 songs in two days. Of course when I'm mixing a song an hour, I'm not making .3db fader moves (unless it 's a super templated rhythm section mix and I get some time to work the vocal).

So if you were hiring a mix engineer, what level of detail would you expect? Is there a cumulative effect of obsessing over minutiae like a should the reverb time be 20. vs 2.1 seconds or pre of 42ms vs 50ms or pan the guitars to 9 and 3 or 8:30 and 3:30?

How microscopic do you need to get?

(2,000 words by Saturday am please - Jules)
Old 28th September 2005
Past Guest Moderator

I would expect the song to sound great. You're getting hung up on unmusical details. If the mix sucks, you did a bad job. if I, as A&R, love the mix then I'm happy and the day is a success. Mixing 6 songs in one day and making them all sound ok with an asterick doens't go far. I ,A&R, will find someone who CAN mix all six well in one day.
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search