The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
gear vs. the engineer who is using the gear
Old 27th September 2005
  #1
Gear maniac
 
nek's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
gear vs. the engineer who is using the gear

Hi Michael,

First, thank you so much for doing this. I have learned a lot from you this month.

How important do you think the gear used in the studio is to making a great record vs. the knowledge and ability of the engineer who is using the gear?

Do you think you could do the same quality mix that you do now if you had to do it all completely "in the box" (i.e. you have a HD3 system, all the plugins made for Pro Tools and an Icon control surface)?
Old 28th September 2005
  #2
Past Guest Moderator
 
Michael Brauer's Avatar
 

Put a monkey in my room with my gear and see what happens. If he mixes better than me, I"m gonna be pissed.

Put me in a room with whatever is available, and i'm going to deliver you a great mix.No excuses for lack of toys or different formats such as mixing in the box. Mixing is mixing, You're either a mixer or you're a monkey. Simple.
Old 28th September 2005
  #3
Gear Addict
 
MrChang's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brauer
You're either a mixer or you're a monkey. Simple.

Me=



But I'm trying real hard not to be. Your insight has been extremely helpful and welcome! Thanks, Michael.

John
Old 28th September 2005
  #4
Lives for gear
 
parissound's Avatar
 

Thumbs up

LOL, it's about f@#cking time somebody spoke out.

AWESOME ANSWER.

Thanks.
Old 28th September 2005
  #5
That reminds me of that line.....

"Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T"
Old 28th September 2005
  #6
Gear maniac
 
nek's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brauer
Mixing is mixing, You're either a mixer or you're a monkey.
LOL! Funny, but true. Although, you wouldn't know by the way people talk about gear around here.

Thanks for the great response!


At what point do you think you go from being a monkey to a mixer?
Old 28th September 2005
  #7
Past Guest Moderator
 
Michael Brauer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nek
At what point do you think you go from being a monkey to a mixer?
When the mix touches your heart instead of your banana.
Old 29th September 2005
  #8
Registered User
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nek
Hi Michael,


How important do you think the gear used in the studio is to making a great record vs. the knowledge and ability of the engineer who is using the gear?
But howz about a top engineer with gear made by monkeys vs. the same top engineer with some top gear?
Old 29th September 2005
  #9
Moderator
 
matt thomas's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11
But howz about a top engineer with gear made by monkeys vs. the same top engineer with some top gear?
Put me in a room full of top gear and I'll give you a top mix

put me in a room full of bananas and I'll make you a great smoothie
Old 29th September 2005
  #10
Past Guest Moderator
 
Michael Brauer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narco
Put me in a room full of top gear and I'll give you a top mix

put me in a room full of bananas and I'll make you a great smoothie
Amen!
Old 29th September 2005
  #11
Spot the difference between the two monkey cartoons to win a stereo Fairchild compressor.

All answers must be in by 3:36pm GMT 29th September 2005

Monkeys decision is final.
Old 29th September 2005
  #12
Gear nut
 
paul mckenna's Avatar
 

?

monkey picture 1 is the original
monkey picture 2 is a Brent Aviril copy of the original

send me my fairchild
Old 29th September 2005
  #13
Gear Addict
 

The monkey in the first picture is "holding his banana"(as it were) like, "I just found the last banana!"

In the second picture, though, he's more pensive: "Do I really FEEL like a banana right now, or would i prefer something a little lighter? A mango perhaps?"

DID I WIN? DID I WIN? Pick me.....

From one monkey to another bunch of monkeys...

peace

mixboy
Old 29th September 2005
  #14
Gear Head
 
lsn110's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
Spot the difference between the two monkey cartoons to win a stereo Fairchild compressor.

All answers must be in by 3:36pm GMT 29th September 2005

Monkeys decision is final..
That's easy....One's on the top, the other's on the bottom.

Duh.
Old 29th September 2005
  #15
Lives for gear
 
djui5's Avatar
 

The top one is a little bigger.....it's "zoomed in" more than the bottom one.



BRING MY FAIRCHILD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WWWWWHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
Old 29th September 2005
  #16
Gear maniac
 

Quote:
Spot the difference between the two monkey cartoons to win a stereo Fairchild compressor.

All answers must be in by 3:36pm GMT 29th September 2005

Monkeys decision is final.
Impossible!
They are both digital representations of the original analogue picture - and compressed (lossy) jpeg versions at that!
I refuse to work with such poor quality. Digital is killing monkeys!


heh
Old 30th September 2005
  #17
Past Guest Moderator
 
Michael Brauer's Avatar
 

OOh man, You guys are killing me it's so funny!!! Hay, we should all wear monkey tshirts for those going to the AES. It'll be an inside joke and we can do some secret monkey handshake. Somebody come up with the secret handshake. How can I get that great picture of a monkey on a Tshirt?????
Old 30th September 2005
  #18
Gear Head
 

I printed t-shirts for several years before giving studio life a try. That being the case, I could probably get a run of them made up with express written consent from the original artist. Unless of course you want to be the only one wearing that kind of monkey shirt.
Old 30th September 2005
  #19
Gear Maniac
 
BigAl's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brauer
When the mix touches your heart instead of your banana.
Ha,Ha........ heh
Old 30th September 2005
  #20
Lives for gear
 
opentune's Avatar
 

You guys might want to unite under one flag....
Attached Images
 
Old 30th September 2005
  #21
Past Guest Moderator
 
Michael Brauer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by decobred
I printed t-shirts for several years before giving studio life a try. That being the case, I could probably get a run of them made up with express written consent from the original artist. Unless of course you want to be the only one wearing that kind of monkey shirt.
The show is at the end of next week, there's probably not enough time, but it woul be nice. Of course, my T shirt should have the biggest banana.
Old 30th September 2005
  #22
Gear Addict
 
Levi's Avatar
 

I pledge allegiance, to the monkey, at the AES held in America....
Old 30th September 2005
  #23
Past Guest Moderator
 
Michael Brauer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune
You guys might want to unite under one flag....
ooh yah, that's a good one too! the big banana protected by his little bananas...i like it.
Loading mentioned products ...
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
cc1 / Gear free zone - shoot the breeze!
9
Paul Vnuk Jr. / So much gear, so little time!
1
XHipHop / Rap + Hip Hop engineering & production
29
RevAudio / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0

Forum Jump