The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Compressing the bass guitar
Old 27th September 2005
Lives for gear

Compressing the bass guitar

Hi Michael, just want to echo everyone else's sentiments in saying thanks for doing this... you rock.

Anyway, I just wanted to get your take on compressing the bass guitar, primarily in rock and pop music, but really it could apply to most styles... I really want to get the bass to sit right in the mix and have extremely even dynamics (this is much harder with poorly played performances obviously), yet I don't want it to sound squashed and lose all the transients.

I'm thinking that the attack and release times play a critical part of this process, so is it just a matter of tweaking it until it sounds right? Do you usually prefer fast/slow on bass?

The compressors I have to work with right now are the Distressor, Purple MC77, and the Summit DCL-200... between these different boxes, I'm sure I can get the sound I'm looking for. Would you recommend that I be extremely judicious with the use of compression while tracking and deal with some of the excessive dynamics at mixdown, or should I try to be a little more aggresive when going to tape? Thanks again. Later.

Matt
Old 28th September 2005
Past Guest Moderator

that question has already been addressed in another thread, I can't really think of anything to add to it.
Old 28th September 2005
Lives for gear

Oh, ok... sorry to post a question that was already addressed... I will search for some more info on that topic. Thanks for the reply regardless. Later.
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search