The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bigging up the AWA.....
Old 23rd September 2005
Lives for gear

Bigging up the AWA.....

Hi Michael...

I know how much effort you went to to scour the earth for those compressors..... heh

I myself LOVE them to pieces and think they are amongst some of the most underated (well now the cats outa the bag isnt it?)compressors around. I have used or seen so many variants and they all seem to be relatively different from each other.

What are your main uses for them and were they modified to be more 'useful' interms of a studio instead of the more frequent programme related 'set and forget' setting?

I tried, begged, bartered with someone back in OZ when i lived there to let me buy 2 of his 8!!!!!!!! that he has sitting in his workshop. Unfortunately he knows the uses and value of them too much... and before you ask no he has no black Fairchild model.. i already checked! (Btw.. only 29 of them were made apparently!!!)

I am keen to get an AWA clone from a person I know who says he is reverse egnineering them.. when i get it i will post my thougths..

Thanks in adavance
Wiggy
Old 23rd September 2005
Past Guest Moderator

please write me when he comes out with the clone. But which clone? I have two and they are both different animals. I am happy that the fairchild version exists. I've been speaking with mic from Mixmasters in Australia and he says it's a myth. I use them just on vocals. The green one has a sound that is stunning. They were both modified to give me more control over attack and release and speed of decay. I need to find one of the 29. I thought it was out of my blood by now but thanks to you, you got me on the hunt again. do you know what the model number was on it?
Old 23rd September 2005
Lives for gear

Hi Michael..

Im sure you are well aware of the pic's that Mick's tech Rob puts up on his site and around other tech orineted forums. His own site is...

http://www.proharmonic.com/awa.htm

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/printthread.php3?t=32118

http://www.linear-recording.com.au/awa.htm

The desk above looks like a real beasty!!! and i will let you know about the clone. apprently last time i spoke to the person invlovled they are incorporating the attack/relaease parameter mods into the new design as stock.

Cheers
Wiggy
Old 23rd September 2005
Gear maniac

Hi Michael - I'm been reading all the replies to all the threads - big thanks to yourself and all concerned for taking the time.

I'm keen to hear your thoughts on the AWA (I know they were mentioned on your www site in the past). Do you still use them regularly - and how do they compare to something like, say, the RCA (of which one the G58 supposedly is heavily 'inspired' by!)
Old 24th September 2005
Past Guest Moderator

I love them, I still use them and they don't sound like the RCA.
Old 24th September 2005
Gear interested

there is a guy in melbourne australia by the name of Ross Gilles that makes compressors based on the awa..he is a real valve gooroo.

and there is a missing awa that rob modified and restored...aparently the shiping company lost it
Old 25th September 2005
Lives for gear

The Ross Giles comps is another LA2A clone... tho from speaking to Ross he does know a bit about AWA's

Cheers
Wiggy
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search