The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can you explain counter pumping?
Old 21st September 2005
Gear maniac

Can you explain counter pumping?

Hey Michael,

You have mentioned a couple times that your multi bus compression technique allows you to acheive a "counter pumping" which you like. Can you go into a little more detail on this? I know it's hard to describe a sound, but is it basically the comp's pumping in time to the track or agaist the track or something completely different?

Once again thanks for all the great adivce!
Old 24th September 2005
Past Guest Moderator

There are times I get the drums and bass pumping in one direction and the guitars in another. You get the sense of the sounds coming at you in waves in a subtle way.

I'm not describing it very well. I'm sorry, this is the first time i've had to explain it without using my hands and it's making little sense. Any chance of getting a little video clip attached to this post of my hands making the counter pumping action?

It would help if I could remember what songs I've felt it on. I'll work on that too.

I think it's because it's friday and I'm toast.
Old 26th September 2005
Gear nut

interesting...

made me think of the effect of say...changing the phase on an lfo, but with compression pumping.
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search