The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ben Folds Mixes - Neotek, 5 compressors, 2 Eqs, 2 verbs
Old 20th September 2005
  #1
Lives for gear
 
XHipHop's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Ben Folds Mixes - Neotek, 5 compressors, 2 Eqs, 2 verbs

Hi Michael,

I'm a huge fan. I saw on Vintage King (link: http://www.vintageking.com/site/files/producers.htm ) that you mixed an album with only that gear. I'm curious how you approached that mix and how you used the gear you had. Did you use the same bussing concepts as your other mixes?

Thanks for any information you can give me.
Old 21st September 2005
  #2
Past Guest Moderator
 
Michael Brauer's Avatar
 

there were no bussing options. I just mixed in the regular stereo format but used my stereo 1176's to help get the depth. And there was no computer so it was back like the old days of mixing as a performance. Hit record and go.
Old 21st September 2005
  #3
krs
Lives for gear
 
krs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brauer
And there was no computer so it was back like the old days of mixing as a performance. Hit record and go.
If you guys haven't the seen Ben Folds DVD yet, check it out, you can see the man jamming out for real.

(Michael, was that a photo op or the real mix? Either way, it RAWKED heh )
1
Share
Old 21st September 2005
  #4
Past Guest Moderator
 
Michael Brauer's Avatar
 

That was being filmed by Frally, Ben's wife. I wasn't aware of it. They taped me mixing a couple of songs. I had no idea they were dancing behind me either until I saw the video, man that's funny.
Old 21st September 2005
  #5
Lives for gear
 
XHipHop's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by krs
If you guys haven't the seen Ben Folds DVD yet, check it out, you can see the man jamming out for real.

(Michael, was that a photo op or the real mix? Either way, it RAWKED heh )
Which DVD? I want to make sure I get the right one.
Old 22nd September 2005
  #6
krs
Lives for gear
 
krs's Avatar
 

It's a little box set CD/DVD 'Songs for Silverman'

Great frikking record.
Old 22nd September 2005
  #7
theother
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brauer
there were no bussing options. I just mixed in the regular stereo format but used my stereo 1176's to help get the depth. And there was no computer so it was back like the old days of mixing as a performance. Hit record and go.
Just out of interest.....

Did you use the 1176's on the mixbus or on the stereo send in addition to the uncompressed signal?

Also... what do you mean with 'stereo 1176's'? Do you mean the new UA 2-1176 or two regular 1176's?

Thanks for your time being a guest moderator!
Old 26th September 2005
  #8
Past Guest Moderator
 
Michael Brauer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theother
Did you use the 1176's on the mixbus or on the stereo send in addition to the uncompressed signal?

Also... what do you mean with 'stereo 1176's'? Do you mean the new UA 2-1176 or two regular 1176's?
I used it on the stereo send. I used to mono regular 1176's panned L/R

I used an outboard SSL across the stereo buss.
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
PaRaNoId / So much gear, so little time!
51
not_so_new / Q & A with Michael H. Brauer
1
dbluefield / So much gear, so little time!
5

Forum Jump