The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mix Diplomacy
Old 10th September 2005
Lives for gear

Mix Diplomacy

Hi Michael..

Given mixing is your mainstay now how do you deal with the mix in terms of creating and realising a mix that you and the 'artist' (ihate that term btw!!!) are happy with?

Do you mix for like 3-4 hours get the song fleshed out, then invite them in for final words?

Are they there with you from the get go?

Do you often have people asking you to chase the 'vibe' of a demo, and how do you counter it from your perspectie when you are hired to put a different slant on things?

How do you both come to compromises and how do you expalain where you are going sonically if they cant envisage it?

Have you ever had clients go "No..... that is totally wrong?" (I read that Bob C has had that happen"

How have you dealt with conflicting opinions between 'artist', band members (more me!), producers and A&R?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanx
Wiggy
Old 28th September 2005
Past Guest Moderator

I tried answering a question very much like this one and as I wrote I got frustrated and quit. You listen closely to what the artists, producer and A&R want, then you sit down to mix. You ignore the ideas you don't like and keep the ones that work. If you want to defend your idea, show them the one they perferred, if it doesn't work, they'll notice it and it won't linger in the back of their mind. If they come in and say it's wrong, I listen to their reasons, say "ooh ok, I get it" come back in 30 minutes. I make it right, they come in happier than a pig in sh*t. If the band members are fighting among themselves or against A&R or Producer or any combination of the three, I SHUT UP. I don't say a thing and I don't interfere. When they turn to me to ask my opinion I simply say, "You heard my opinion when i played you the mix.I am not getting in the middle of this. Make up your mind and i'll make the change or I'll give you two versions and you guys can fight it out later". That tends to work like a charm.

Yes, of course I've had mixes rejected. We all have, except for the big fibbers of the world.
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search