The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mastering - Still Relevant???
Old 26th March 2013
Gear Addict

Mastering - Still Relevant???

Firstly, Thank you so much for taking the time to answer our questions! It's very much appreciated!

My question involves the necessity of the "mastering" process in today's digital environment:

How germane do you feel that the mastering process is today, given our assimilation to digital delivery?

Would your work be hindered in any way (sonically) if the mastering process were omitted all together?

Thanks again!!!

Gideon Merritt
Old 27th March 2013
Michael Beinhorn

I'm pleased to do so.

Regarding mastering- I think it can help a recording, although I wouldn't say it's an absolute necessity either. A lot of great records have benefitted greatly from being mastered by a great engineer- mine, included. The fact is, a badly mastered recording can also lose everything that was great about the final mix.

I've encountered mastering engineers who will add massive amounts of compression to a mix, just because this is what everyone else in the world of professional recording does. Some people really like the effect of excessive amounts of compression on an already compressed mix, but this also alters the structural integrity of the mix. In some cases, I've actually felt that having a mastered version which sounds almost identical to the final mix is preferable to a version which has all those bells and whistles.

Working with a mastering engineer can be helpful- it can also be subjective. I guess it helps to know the engineer and what he will do with your mixes.
Old 27th March 2013
Gear Addict

Thanks again for your time! Too cool.

I've wondered what some one who makes records with such sonic integrity (such as yourself) felt about the process. Admittedly, there are a number of recordings that I would love to hear in the pre-"mastered" stage.

Gideon
Old 28th March 2013
Michael Beinhorn

My pleasure. It's very interesting to hear the before/after process. Honestly, mastering has helped some records I've worked on and practically destroyed others.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search