The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Drugs
Old 25th March 2013
Gear Maniac

Drugs

You've worked with some infamous (and famous) drug-users. And a lot of the albums you list as favorites were done by musicians who were pretty hard drug users. Any thoughts on the subject?

It's a touchy subject rarely talked about here, but it seems like a major issue to making records (sometimes). I know some can keep the partying out of the studio and some can't.

I don't know how you got things done; my one dinky major label producer credit was with a drug addict and it was a nightmare. That experience helped me decide to leave music and work on post- production mixing. Perhaps why some albums took so long?
Old 26th March 2013
Michael Beinhorn

Yes- there have been some drug users and yes, drug use does not make the job any easier.

In some cases, the people I worked with were addicts, in some, they were functional recreational drug users and in others, they had been users, but had quit. I have come to feel that whatever people do outside of their work with me is their own business, however, the moment it interferes with what I'm doing (especially if this work is being done on their behalf) they have just made it my business. If an artist's drug use has become my business, it's then up to me to determine what I want to do about it.

I don't like it when anything extraneous interferes with work, so I'll tend to address things as I see fit. Sometimes this is constructive, sometimes it doesn't go down very well. I actually walked off one project because I felt I couldn't do my job due to this issue.

Drug use has affected the time spent on some recordings I've done, but not all. I am more careful with dealing with substance abusers now, I consider the pros and cons very carefully before diving in. Even if I really like the music they do.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search