The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cani make a good recording at home?
Old 23rd March 2013
Gear Head

Cani make a good recording at home?

i haven't been on GS in a long time and it's really cool to find this forum. it's a bit saddening to read about what goes into some of my favorite records sonic wise. mostly with my budget i cant afford a big studio/recordist/mastering/etc... i have Cubase, some old MOTU's and a collection of Chinese condenser mics. but with the record industry dying i wonder if i (or anyone else) will ever be able to make a great record on our own without shelling out $$$ for a big room and aceess to great mic pre's and outboard gear.
Old 25th March 2013
Michael Beinhorn

The trick isn't trying to make recordings that you feel are comparable or competitive with other "big budget" recordings- it's about making recordings which are inspiring and expressive to you. In order to do this, you have to search for combinations with what you have that excite you- ultimately, the gear is meaningless.

The Eurythmics made "Sweet Dreams" at home on an 8 track recorder. Frank Filipetti made James Taylor's "Hour Glass" in James' living room with DA88's and a Yamaha 02R. These are just a few noteworthy recordings which were done under less than perfect circumstances and less than perfect recording equipment. Of course, the individuals making them are extraordinarily talented- then again, perhaps you are too. There's only one way to find out.
Old 26th March 2013
Steven Antoniazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fexurbis View Post
The trick isn't trying to make recordings that you feel are comparable or competitive with other "big budget" recordings- it's about making recordings which are inspiring and expressive to you. In order to do this, you have to search for combinations with what you have that excite you- ultimately, the gear is meaningless.

The Eurythmics made "Sweet Dreams" at home on an 8 track recorder. Frank Filipetti made James Taylor's "Hour Glass" in James' living room with DA88's and a Yamaha 02R. These are just a few noteworthy recordings which were done under less than perfect circumstances and less than perfect recording equipment. Of course, the individuals making them are extraordinarily talented- then again, perhaps you are too. There's only one way to find out.
Great advice.

Thank you sir.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search