The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitars on Mechanical Animals
Old 21st March 2013
Gear Maniac

Guitars on Mechanical Animals

Hi Michael

MA is one of my favorite Manson records, sonically and songwise.

Can you elaborate a little bit what ampheads, cabinets and stompboxes were used mostly on the records?
Is it true that the guitars have been replaced by John 5 after Zim Zum got fired for not showing up.

And what was the most unusual procedure/technique/experiment you guys have done on that record.
It's such a diversed compilation of music in terms of the songs and their production. I can see that it's probably not the easiest task to work with the manson camp (especially in 98 and in LA ) but the result is still outstanding!
Old 21st March 2013
Gear Addict

There's a fantastic thread in So Much Gear... that I'm sure was the inspiration for the Q&A. I'd asked a similar question re: the guitar rig and who played what when Mr. Beinhorn popped in and started taking questions, so if this answers part of your question: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/8792761-post100.html

Old 22nd March 2013
Gear Maniac

@Maschinenraum: Oh yeah, I see ... guess I shouldn't post here while I'm at work. But thank you for the link there is some great info there.

@Michael: MA was a record that really started my journey to become more open minded towards different music genres as a teenager and the record has so many interesting layers to it, so any additional cool stuff you might wanna add, to whatever part of the question, is truly appreaciated.
Old 22nd March 2013
Michael Beinhorn

My recollection of some of the setups on Mechanical Animals is a bit hazy. Twiggy did nearly all the rhythm guitars and mainly used a Les Paul. At one point during the recording, he got a GMP guitar and we used this a bit. I think his amps were Marshalls- it was all very meat and potatoes stuff. I know there were some pedals at certain points- just can't recall which ones. I also did a little guitar processing through my synthesizers.

Zim was not fired- although he did get into a lot trouble- and John 5 didn't play on the record. Zim has a different feel than Twiggy, and sounded terrible playing Les Pauls through Marshalls, so we spent a few days trying to match a guitar rig to him. His rig wound up being gear that didn't sound good on anyone else. He had these guitars- they might have been Washburns- that seemed to work perfectly for him- we used those.*

The overall approach to the recording was exciting- all the electronics and drum machine parts had been well-thought out and pre-programmed, but there was still room for experimentation. We often incorporated things that just showed up- a TC Electronics Fireworx, synth-guitar processing, etc.. It was also very entertaining working in a pitch-black tent made of theater-rigging for 2.5 months.*

It wasn't really that hard working with Manson and crew. When all the pretenses were dispensed, they were there to work and they did a great job.
Old 23rd March 2013
Lives for gear

Who actually did all the drum programming? Was it Ginger Fish?

One of the things I love about that record is that it's hard to tell which drum parts are programmed and which aren't. I always assumed that was an intentional thing, fitting with the theme of the album.
Old 23rd March 2013
Gear Maniac

First of all thanks a lot for answering the question.

I'm listening to this record right now and one last question about the guitars can you recall if you also used a les paul with a marshall for the rhythm tracks on rock is dead?
it's such a cool overdriven sound and it sits so well in the mix.

I know it's quite a time ago when you did the record but do you remember what distortion units you've used for vocals and bass?
Really like the vocals in the bridge of disasociative and

And congrats on fundamentally loathsome, I mean the record itself is pretty diversed but I think that particular song represtens that diversety the best. I'm pretty sure that a lot of decisions on how it's gonna sound as a finished track were made during or before tracking and it's such a outstanding and overlooked song, so I have to give props to it!
Old 25th March 2013
Michael Beinhorn

I think Ginger did the drum programming- possibly with someone else (Manson) directing. I don't think the way everything fit together was initially intentional on the part of the band, but it was definitely my intention.
Old 25th March 2013
Michael Beinhorn

KoMa-

Now you've got me. I don't recall the specifics of those tracks. A lot of the decisions regarding parts were made prior to recording but most of the sonic combinations were decided during the recording. It all happened really quickly.
Old 25th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fexurbis View Post
I think Ginger did the drum programming- possibly with someone else (Manson) directing. I don't think the way everything fit together was initially intentional on the part of the band, but it was definitely my intention.
Well it worked! Thanks again for your answers.
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search