The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Budget equipment
Old 21st March 2013
Lives for gear

Budget equipment

Once again, let me thank you for doing this, Michael...

I was wondering if you could share some of your thoughts about gear that´s not that expensive... Like, what´s the cheapest LDC that you actually used and find decent -as OHs or lead voices-? What about SDCs?

Cheers!

J.
Old 22nd March 2013
Gear Addict
Old 22nd March 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah, I read that, thanks...

Hoping Michael would chime in with some other pieces like the 4047!
Old 22nd March 2013
Michael Beinhorn

Yes- the AT 4047 is one of the great, unsung potentially all-purpose microphones I've used. I've used these on nearly every instrument in various configurations- isn't always the right mic, but the results are at very least respectable. The mere fact that it was a close second to a "legendary" M49 in a massive mic shoot out on a large budget recording could be a reasonable indicator of this. I do think the Sanken CU41 is a great mic- however- it's more expensive and really depends on your preference regarding tone.

I don't use small diaphragm condensers a great deal- hence, not a great judge. I've found AKG 451's helpful in some circumstances and I've used B&K 4011's on overheads- just not for awhile. I also used a B&K 4007 on a vocal- it was helpful because it's a very neutral microphone and the vocalist had very sharp peaks in his voice.

As for dynamics- SM57's are always handy and often surprising, even if the transient response isn't always great. The AKG/Telefunken D19 is great for fast transient stuff- very tight, but has a bad habit of being unfixable when it breaks.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search