The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is Music Doomed..?
Old 21st March 2013
Gear Addict

Is Music Doomed..?

Hi Michael,

Firstly, thanks for sharing your wisdom here - so much of what you say resonates with me on a personal level.

In particular, what you discuss on your website about the current state of popular music - even music generally - has been food for thought.
I'm a child of the '90's, bands like Soundgarden, the Chili Peppers and Hole were part of my musical education. I look back on those years as - perhaps like yourself - the last era when music truly meant something, both to the people that made it and the people who bought it.
But feeling this way makes me feel a bit like the proverbial old man shaking his fist at the future because he knows his best days are behind him...

What i'd like to ask you - with the utmost respect for your past triumphs - is how relevant do you feel in the current musical climate?

Can you lean your weight of experience on modern recording/musical practice to change it for the better?

How can we best operate outside the confines of the current status quo?

Thanks again for your input here,

Matt
Old 22nd March 2013
Michael Beinhorn

Matt-

I have found that my attitude towards the current state of the music industry is actually shared by quite a few people who work creatively with music in some capacity. The problem is, this view is not the status quo, hence, not popular and the other people who feel similarly don't realize there are other people out there who feel as they do.*

You asked if I feel relevant in/to the current musical climate. I don't think I could feel less relevant at this moment- to the music industry. But I've had to accept that my true necessity is something other than mattering to a bunch of guys in a record company. That's like believing that ants really care about what happens on the planet Jupiter at about*5pm next Wednesday. As far as being relevant to an artistic community, that's another matter entirely. My relevance is in offering a different vision to others and letting them know that there are others like them.

Being relevant to someone or something else is unimportant. Being true to how you feel is most important. Giving up your ethics and your feelings that something feels very wrong to you may appear more practical (and less like you are swimming against the tide, however, in the long run, this is far more debilitating. Honoring your ethics and all your feelings is the key to accessing and harnessing creativity. I feel that sooner or later, everyone has to make the same choice- whether they want to follow the direction in life that feels right, or the direction that society tells everyone is the most practical.

Doing creative work is not a walk in the park. The only guaranteed ease is found in working on something which satifies you on the deepest personal level- that's when you know you're in the right place.

As far as change- I only know that I can change no one and nothing in any way- I can only change myself. For this reason, I have no interest in altering anyone else's perspective on anything, or being a pedant. All I can do is speak openly about how I feel wherever I'm able. In the likelihood that my words have an affect on someone else, that's fine. I would rather reach out to all the other people in the world who feel as I do, than try and change the minds of all the people who don't.*

As far as operating outside the status quo- this is also very hard. Of course, the alternative is trying to assimilate into the status quo and hoping that you'll be accepted, which is just as hard. However, it is possible to make your own way and this is to work from who you are and what you believe. If you have vision and are able to keep working- if you have tremendous talent and tremendous drive- you'll be able to do anything. At that point, the best thing to do is ignore the status quo and the conventional wisdom and do what you do.*

Another aspect of working outside the status quo is finding other likeminded people and creating communities. In this case, thank goodness for the internet.
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search