The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
4th of July
Old 20th March 2013
Gear interested

4th of July

How did you get that nice, low and heavy sound in 4th of July ? Beside the downtuning of the guitars...

Can you give us some details ? Mics used, guitars, amps etc.

Thanks
Old 20th March 2013
Michael Beinhorn

I honestly think a lot of that had to do with how the guitars were tuned. Soundgarden have/had a bunch of really cool drop-tunings and some of them literally change the entire character of the guitar. The live room at Bad Animals helped, too- very smooth response and ok (not overwhelming) pre delays.

I think Kim and Chris both played on that song- pretty sure Chris was using one of his Gretsch guitars (silver jet or black single cutaway) into a 50w Marshall/Mesa Dual Rectifier to Marshall cabs (one may have been Mesa). An SM57 and an RCA BK5 was on each cabinet and each mic went to a Neve 1058.
Old 20th March 2013
Lives for gear

did you use any compression while tracking the guitars for this or any of the other songs on this record?

to this day, it is still a benchmark rock record in my book.
Old 20th March 2013
Michael Beinhorn

Thanks for saying so.

No- there wasn't any compression used on the guitars. Pretty sure there was a bit of extra eq at the console where the guitars were bussed, but nothing else.
Old 21st March 2013
Gear interested

Yep. The alternative tunings are a big part of the SG sound. They also sound more "vintage" and "alive" than a lot of modern metal bands who use active pickups in their guitars and kill what I like in guitars sound, Soundgarden has the right amount of vintage and modern in their sound.

Thank you for being part of my all time favorite "rock" record. It has the sweetest and darkest sound I've ever heard.
Old 22nd March 2013
Michael Beinhorn

Thanks for your kind words- they are appreciated.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search