The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
black hole sun
Old 19th March 2013
Gear addict

black hole sun

hello,

what were the vocal and guitar chains for black hole sun? great song.
Old 19th March 2013
Michael Beinhorn

Thank you.

Guitars- Gretsch single cutaway (or possibly Silver Jet)- Leslie 18 (don't recall what powered it)- I think a single SM57- Neve 1058.

Vocals- Neumann U87- Neve 1073- 1176 LN (possibly a GML 8200).
Old 20th March 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fexurbis View Post
Thank you.

Guitars- Gretsch single cutaway (or possibly Silver Jet)- Leslie 18 (don't recall what powered it)- I think a single SM57- Neve 1058.

Vocals- Neumann U87- Neve 1073- 1176 LN (possibly a GML 8200).
cool thanks

what about bass and drums?

thanks for the reply.
Old 20th March 2013
Michael Beinhorn

The kit was Gretsch or DW with Zildjian K cymbals and a variety of snare drums. Everything went through Neve 1057's, except the cymbals- pretty sure those were board pre's. I think kick was U47, Snare SM57 (maybe another top mic). Toms were MD421's, there were a few other mics and a pair of U67's facing one another overheard going into Neve 2254 E's.

I don't recall how we amplified the bass- there was a single sub in there and we used a DBX 120x, as well. The bass was a relatively new Fender Jazz.
Old 21st March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
.... there were a few other mics and a pair of U67's facing one another overheard going into Neve 2254 E's.
Hey Michael,
Thanks for your time here.
Can you explain the overhead micing a bit more, Im not following the "U67's facing one another"

thanks!
Old 22nd March 2013
Michael Beinhorn

My pleasure. That was explanation was misleading. The U67's were looking down on the kit- the tops of the mics were facing- not the capsules. They were a bit closer together than a normal overhead array, as I recall.

Jason had them positioned over the front of the kit, however, this picked up more cymbals and less kit, so I asked if he could move them in so they were more in line with the snare.
Old 24th March 2013
Lives for gear

I just want to say.. that Black Hole Sun was one of the songs when I heard it on the radio.. that the hairs on the back my neck stood up and I was just like "wow that sounds good." This is only happened to me a few times so.. I guess that's about the highest praise I can give.
Old 25th March 2013
Michael Beinhorn

Thanks- that's exactly how I felt when I first heard Chris's demo.
Old 25th March 2013
http://youtu.be/ltc5EsuyBh4

Enjoy.

Black Hole Sun uses 11 out of the 12 notes in the chromatic scale. He is a brilliant composer.

I love Chris' exquisite and unique sense of harmony and the way his odd and quirky chord voicings somehow never step on his quite normal and proper melody, while still flowing with grace, with beautiful tension and release. His use of cadence is magical.
Old 25th March 2013
Hi Michael, thanx for doing this.

I am particularly interested in the drumsounds. They sound like you chopped off the attack and release.. it sounds big, but kinda the tail and the attack is "confusing" for me. Did you use a parallel on the kit?

cheers
George
Old 26th March 2013
Michael Beinhorn

George-

My pleasure. I'm not sure I understand your question. What do you mean by parallel?
Old 28th March 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
George-

My pleasure. I'm not sure I understand your question. What do you mean by parallel?
Parallel compression?
Old 28th March 2013
Michael Beinhorn

Oh. We didn't do anything like that to the drums or any other instruments.
Old 30th March 2013
Quote:
Oh. We didn't do anything like that to the drums or any other instruments.
thank you. the main interest is on the attack and decay of the drums. do you remember if you used a drumbus compressor/clipping the board with the drums?

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk
Old 30th March 2013
Michael Beinhorn

We certainly didn't record them that way, but it's possible that Brendan could have used something like that in the mix. He definitely used a drum buss in mix down.
Old 31st March 2013
Gear Addict
Pretty sure Brendan was sending the entire kit through a Summit DCL200 compressor on a subgroup. That's generally what he used for drums until later in the 90's when he started using a Fatso.
Old 2nd April 2013
Michael Beinhorn

I believe you're right.
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search