The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
"fresh" sample & Chili Peppers
Old 18th March 2013
Gear Maniac

"fresh" sample & Chili Peppers

Hi Michael,

Can you explain how you did the "fresh" vocal sample that has been scratched a zillion times? Very cool sound; I can't figure out exactly how you did it.

A little aside: about 12 years ago I was looking for studio space in the buildings where the DSW is now (across from Hollywood High). Several buildings connected together that one had to walk through, and at far west end a little trashed room they were trying to rent. Is that where you worked on the RHCP songs? What a dump! Crazy.

But 100 years ago a kid named Chuck Jones lived on that block. So we can thank that bit of property for Bugs Bunny, Porky Pig, some great cartoons and the RHCP. And now cheap shoes...
Old 19th March 2013
Michael Beinhorn

The "Fresh" sample was really just an accident. Material was working on a song with an artist named Fab Five Freddy who had a track called "Change the Beat". At the end of the song, we had a guy named Roger Trilling get on a mic and say, "Ahhhhhhh.. This stuff is reeaally fresshhh!". Of course, the mic went into a vocoder which was controlling an OBXa. I made some random program with the oscillators tuned randomly and put as many fingers (both my hands) across the keyboard. That's pretty much all it was. It's funny, because that accident became the most sampled sound in hiphop.

Yes, I'm pretty sure the locale you mentioned on Sunset Blvd is the site where EMI records formerly had their office. Judging by your description, the trashed little room for rent was the studio we rehearsed and recorded in. From Chuck Jones to RHCP to DSW...*
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search