The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Celebrity Skin vs. Nobody's Daughter DAW Software
Old 17th March 2013
Gear Head

Celebrity Skin vs. Nobody's Daughter

How has your approach to recording Courtney Love's music changed between recording "Celebrity Skin" and "Nobody's Daughter"(If it had changed at all)?

Was it easier to record her the second time around with Pro Tools?
Old 17th March 2013
Michael Beinhorn

Probably not in terms of general aesthetics- yes in terms of technology, etc. From one project to the other, many other things changed- different performers, a lot of personal issues for Courtney, etc.

When I was involved in the project, everything was recorded in DSD. It was only transferred to Pro Tools after I left, which occurred before Courtney began her vocals. About 60-70% of the vocals on Celebrity Skin are from Courtney's guides which were done over the course of 2 days.
Old 25th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fexurbis View Post
About 60-70% of the vocals on Celebrity Skin are from Courtney's guides which were done over the course of 2 days.
Why did you decide to use the guide vocal for that 60-70% instead of cutting a "final" vocal?

thanks Michael.
Old 25th March 2013
Michael Beinhorn

We spent months trying to get finished sounding vocals and it always felt as if something was missing. One day, while listening to a playback, it suddenly occurred that what we were missing had actually been there from the beginning. When we brought up Courtney's guides, it was really obvious. I comped them together with some of our later vocals for the finished versions.
Mentioned Products
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search