The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixing as Arranging....
Old 7th September 2016
Gear Guru

Mixing as Arranging....

Hi Mark - thanks for doing this Q&A. Quite interesting stuff.

As I've read through many of your posts, I definitely get the feeling that you approach mixing almost as an "arranger" - as you talk about building the vs. into pre-chorus into chorus, etc.. Bringing up the good parts when they need to make an impact, making the chorus big compared to vs. or pre-chorus so that it pops, etc.. Hope I'm not putting words into your mouth, but I get that feeling.... Is this right?

Do you end up doing a lot of "subtractive" arranging with bands by removing unwanted/unneeded parts, or do you even end up adding parts if necessary?

if so, how do your clients take to this? As I get projects from young producers, arranging seems like it's becoming a lost art with the availability of unlimited track count. Thanks. bp
Old 8th September 2016
special guest

Mixing as Arranging..

Let me clear in that I don't take every ones song and try to remake it to my vision. I try to work with the parts I am given and find a place for everything. If I think I have an arrangement idea that works better I will send the band both options and let them decide.There are a lot of artists that come to me and want the option of me helping to rearrange or to help take their tracks in different direction , and then I try to find solutions that still feel like what the artist is trying to achieve but maybe didn't think of.Mixing a song that is well arranged is certainly A LOT easier and I would agree that not as much time is spent doing that now as when we were working on 16 or 24 tracks and you had to commit to sounds and parts. I would not wish to go back to those days though , as the ability to try so many ideas quickly and find the best way to make a song work is so much easier for me now. In either case though the mixer is doing some arrangement work , even if it is just through the choice of sounds, effects and levels.
Old 8th September 2016
Gear Guru

Thx Mark - cheers! bp
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search