The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Track vs. Buss Processing
Old 2nd September 2016
Gear Nut

Mark,

Big fan of your records! My question is more of a workflow/template question. Your mixes have a lot of depth and subtle treatments that give each sound it's own space yet cohesively fits together for a wasabi punch.

Do you find yourself processing more on individual tracks opposed to groups, especially as it pertains to effects? To be more clear, instead of bussing all your drums to a group and applying the same plate, verb, bus compression setting to the group, do you treat each sound more on it's own? This used to be a elementary approach but I feel with the advent of limitless instances of processor/plug-in, expands possibilities and gives infinite control.

Best,
Eric
Old 2nd September 2016
special guest

I lean more to individual processing rather than group bussing.I rarely buss tracks to a sub group and try to have my FX change from section to section(i.e. different fx on a vocal from verse to pre to chorus) and the EQ ,compression and saturation as well.I didn't use sub groups when I was analogue either and I use them less now as it is so much easier to have independent FX for anything I want with out running our of faders or patch cables. I actually had a studio owner come in once when I was mixing analogue and tell me I was using to many patch cords and I had to take some out and give them back to the other rooms!After that I just brought my own patch bays and cables.I cut up tracks a lot between verse's and chorus's so I can have more dramatic changes between sections. When I mixed before there was automation I would stop the 2 track at the chorus, readjust all of the levels and sounds for that section, and then splice it , or mix the verses , chorus's and bridge separate and just edit it together.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search